Hiding Mistakes When Building Structures and Rolling Stock

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I have read that Howard Zane, George Sellios and others use a variety of methods and tricks to "Hide" mistakes when building structures and rolling stock like using vines on buildings to mask when a corner didn't meet perfectly, or heavy weathering on rolling stock to cover up a finger print or paint that was marred, a sign whose placement helps cover up a very blank wall.

What methods or tips can you offer that you use to "Hide" those mistakes that you seldom make?

I'm dealing with a stairway on a building that I glued in place but it shifted slightly while the glue dried and is a bit away from the building. Thinking about vines to cover the gap between the stairway and building proper.

Suggestions....

Thanks.

Greg

Depending on how much of a gap you need to fill, you might try running narrow strip of styrene or strip wood down the gap and passing it off as a drain pipe or gutter.

Here is an examp;e of a box car that I was thinking of putting in the trash bin because there was paint dripped on it as well as having finger prints on it. I have no idea where it came from originally, but I thought it would be something to practice weathering on. It worked.

20171029_172528.jpg

I have been lucks so far when it comes to structures, no obvious mistakes.

I use bushes and trees like Mike does in some cases. To mask the seams on the backs of buildings where walls come together (DPM for example) I add scuppers and downspouts. Signs, vines, soft drink machines and other details come in handy for covering up imperfections. They're also good for just adding detail. Weathering can be used to mask glue smears or paint imperfections. Added bonus is that it makes stuff more realistic.

Here is an examp;e of a box car that I was thinking of putting in the trash bin because there was paint dripped on it as well as having finger prints on it. I have no idea where it came from originally, but I thought it would be something to practice weathering on. It worked.

View attachment 33404

I have been lucks so far when it comes to structures, no obvious mistakes.

Very nice. Can't find the fingerprints or paint.

Same as above. I'm modeling a mine in my hometown and has numerous buildings. Fortunately, they all are covered with corrugated metal. So, my uneven joints are covered. Whew!! If not I'd be still trying to get the buildings strait.

Back