Hey Everyone!!!

Svrailer

Hello and nice to meet you all. I had cleaned out my fathers estate this past week and came across an extensive collection. I'm saying 70-80 full size boxes. Filled to the top with new in the box cars, tracks, sets, landmarks etc. Some with price tags of 60-190 dollars. I don't know what to do now. In Northeast PA, from what I've researched, the market is nonexistent. Any ideas guys. Sell here?

You could start with a model railroad / hobby shop in your area. Some of them buy collections or maybe can give you info on a buyer.
Collectors place ads in newspapers. Check the free local papers, also. Check Craigslist.
You could try selling on Craigslist and ebay.
Place an ad in a larger city newspaper in your area.

Hello and nice to meet you all. I had cleaned out my fathers estate this past week and came across an extensive collection. I'm saying 70-80 full size boxes. Filled to the top with new in the box cars, tracks, sets, landmarks etc. Some with price tags of 60-190 dollars. I don't know what to do now. In Northeast PA, from what I've researched, the market is nonexistent. Any ideas guys. Sell here?
Yes, a very small and tough market. There are companies and hobby stores out there that buy model railroad estates, but they will offer pennies on a dollar for them. The only real way to get closer to the wholesale value is to sell the items individually or in smaller lots. That takes a lot of work and needs the national exposure of something like e-bay. We do have the "for sale" threads here on the forum, but even we are a small community of buyers.

Are you certain you don't want to start your own model railroad or one for your son/daughter?

Selling them on ebay will get you the most for each item. It's tedious work but if you take it just a few items at a time, it will be easy to manage.

Back