Help with installing JMRI's Decoder Pro?

N

NP2626

At times I feel like a "68 year old Grandpa" when it comes to downloading and installing programs. So, consider that abbreviations and computer lingo will go over my head, like a Saturn V Rocket! In simple "68 year old Grandpa" terms, can I download and use this program without spending money? #1. It's my understanding that I must have Java 1.8 installed on my confuser to download and/or use Decoder Pro. Can you walk me through getting Java 1.8? #2. After getting Java 1.8, can you walk me through how to download JMRI's Decoder Pro?

Hey, thanks for just reading what I'm asking, if you can't help me, that's O.K. If you can and feel like you want to, Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that you have Java 1.8 installed, you are ready to install JMRI.

To download JMRI, go to:
http://jmri.org/download/index.shtml

Under JMRI 4.12 - Production release, you will see links for downloading the OS X/MacOS, Windows, and Linux versions of JMRI. Double-click on the link for your type of computer to download JMRI. When the file has been downloaded to your computer, find the file on your computer and double-click it to install JMRI.

- Jeff

Once it's installed, things get a whole lot more confusing.
Have you ever written software to put a satellite in orbit around Mars? That would include the up and down radio link equipment and trackers.
I'm still tryin to figure out how to install a picture of each one of my locomotives in the roster page. I think we are waiting for contact from alien life forms to ask that question.

I need to get my Digitrax PR 4, and there is a hang-up. Hurricane Michael which hit the Florida Pan Handle hard has damaged Digitrax's plant. Almost all of my suppliers are out of the PR 4 device and I don't know when Digitrax will get back on their feet. I don't feel downloading the program without having the PR 4 hooked up to the computer is a good idea, so need to wait until I get a PR 4! This is the situation for right now.

Hi Mark -

The following vendors currently list the PR4 on their sites, although it's impossible to know if they keep their online inventory up to date. At least they don't say OUT OF STOCK!

Litchfield Station
Fifer Hobby
DCC Hobby Supply
NScale Supply
Caboose Hobbies

- Jeff
If they have a phone # or email address, call or write first. Nothing more infuriating than to be told after ordering, that the item is OOS and would you like to back order or refund if you have paid during the ordering process.

Great Suggestions! Talking directly with Digitrax, I was able to find out that they expect to be back into production at the beginning of December.

I was able to cancel my order for a Digitrax PR 4 from the supplier that was out of stock. I have placed an order for one from Yankee Dabbler. I've even saved a little over a $buck$ by going to Yankee Dabbler for this item. At the time the order was placed, they showed they had two PR 4 in stock. I would think that within a week, I should have my PR 4!

I have purchased something from Yankee Dabbler on Ebay; however, I don't recall what it was. This is the first purchase I've made directly with Yankee Dabbler. I am impressed with their prices! Has anyone had dealings with Yankee Dabbler?

I have downloaded the JMRI Decoder Pro to my computer and have a portable programing track with Digitrax PR 4 for an interface with my computer. Now, I would like it if someone who is familiar with the program could give me some pointers to help me get started. What I'm interested in is someone who I can PM with questions. Anyone interested?

Mark: No problem answering your questions about the PR-4. The Digitrax system will down load a program called SoundLoader which is all you need to use your new PR-4. There's no need for the JMRI Pro with the PR-4

The Digitrax web site has instructions to follow to get ready to use the PR-4. There different instructions for various Windows and please follow them actually since you will be making changes to your computer to accepts and uses serial drivers. But, it's easy.

http://www.digitrax.com/products/computer-control/pr4/

The PR-4 besides downloading Digitrax Sound Files, will read and write CV's for many other decoders.

Greg

Thanks for the help, Greg. Like I said, I have successfully downloaded the Decoder Pro, so I do want to use it.

As I have stated, I have successfully downloaded the JMRI Decoder Pro to my computer and have a portable programming track with Digitrax PR 4 for an interface with my computer. Now, I would like to make contact with someone who is familiar with the program and could give me some pointers to help me get started. What I'm interested in is someone who I can PM with questions. Anybody interested in helping me out? Or; do you have a good video I could view of someone explaining how to set-up and use JMRI's Decoder Pro? Some of the videos I've viewed where not all that well done.

Here are some photos of my new Programming Track with the Digitrax PR 4 connected and running.
HPIM8030 (Small).JPG

HPIM8031 (Small).JPG

HPIM8035 (1) (Small).JPG

Sorry about the low quality of the photo of the PR 4.

We all know how everyone here feels it's not even a topic, if there aren't photographs. So, even though there are no great secrets reviled in the photo, at least there are photos!!

Yes, I had a Digitrax Zephyr DCS 50 which I sold on Ebay and have replaced it with the newer Digitrax DCS 51 Zephyr Xtra. I have found the Digitrax Zephyr to be a great DCC system and the Xtra is even better.

Ok, I believe you have all the tools you'll need.
You have JMRI downloaded and installed on your computer and the right com port, usually 3 selected and the baud rate set for 11.xk I think. Check you JMRI instructions on that.
Put a loco on the test track and open the Decider Pro app. You should see a window and at the top is a button "New Loco". Click on that then watch at the center bottom of the window it will be reading the CVs of the decoder.
When it has finished reading, another window will be partly populated with information. Fill in the rest of the information which will actually be the headings for fields of information.
When your done with that, click on the programmer button. This will open another window where you can detail out the various functions of your decoder. When you're done, click save and test your loco. The data will be saved to a table which decider pro defaults to upon opening.

Something has been screwing me up. It appears that the programming mode in my new Digitrax Zephyr Xtra is not operable. Then, the locomotive which just came back from the manufacture, supposedly repaired, came back with the black wire to the forward truck, has a broken connection and the decoder will not allow me to change the address to the locomotives number. Then I'm trying to learn how to use JMRI's Decoder Pro. All of this has lit my INFORMATION OVERLOAD LIGHT. To top this all off, because Digitrax's facility was damaged by Hurricane Michael in October, their having been located in Panama City, Florida! I've been asked to not return my defective Zephyr Xtra until the 1st of the year. Life can be difficult for those of us who love DCC!

HPIM8029 (1) (Small).JPG

Does this photo reveal my frustrations?

Back