Help Needed Identifying Rolling Stock

ACL-CSX

Founder, NHRR; Founder, Nathan's Crossroads
Over the next few days I'm going to try to post pics of my HO rolling stock. I need some help in identifying the type, as well as era, of what I have. I am looking for more information than say, that's a 40' boxcar or that's a covered hopper. This I already know. What I need is specifics: manufacturer, years in service, type of cargo typically carried. I'm less familiar with these aspects of identification. Thanks in advance for any information provided.

I assume that by "manufacturer", you mean who made the prototype, like Pullman Standard, American Car & Foundry, Gunderson or Trinity Industries. If you are looking for the manufacturer of the model, include a clear picture of the bottom of the car for us to see.

I assume that by "manufacturer", you mean who made the prototype, like Pullman Standard, American Car & Foundry, Gunderson or Trinity Industries. If you are looking for the manufacturer of the model, include a clear picture of the bottom of the car for us to see.

Yes. Prototype manufacturer. I see y'all and other guys in my Facebook groups talking about them and all I see reminds me of listening the the grownups talk in the old Charlie Brown cartoons. Lol. Model manufacturer is less important, but would be useful knowledge if it can be had as well.

20180815_213331.jpg
20180815_213343.jpg

This is the first of several boxcars I have. It has double doors on both sides. I know that it is an older style because it has the roof walk on it. It's missing a brake wheel off at the top on one end. I'd like to add some details to it before I paint and weather it, especially to the underside. I'd also like to remove the molded on ladders in favor of individually applied grab irons. I'm also curious about the livery it should wear. This will be part of my freelance road, but I still want accuracy. By that I mean would these cars wear the colors of the road? I've seen cars that have the manufacturers logo on them, the Tropicana Juice train for example. We're those cars owned by the company? Or the railroad and leased to Tropicana for sole use by them? Many more pics to follow.

20180815_213422.jpg
20180815_213432.jpg

Single door boxcar. I plan to give this one similar treatment as the previous boxcar I posted. I've noticed that the grab irons on this one are a little different. Wasn't sure if that was a sign of a difference in prototype builder or model builder. I want to model my open door boxcars with loads in them, at least in the space behind the door openings.

20180815_213723.jpg
20180815_213729.jpg

This one is different than all the rest. I was thinking that it might be an insulated box or a reefer? Since the doors on this one are sealed, I'm going to focus on exterior detailing and weathering.

20180815_213454.jpg
20180815_213504.jpg

One of three flat cars in the fleet. I don't know how much detailing can be done to this unit, but I know at some point it or one of the other the others will be carrying a load of farm implements or tractors. I'd prefer to find either old Ford or International Harvesters if they would fit the era of operation.

20180815_213520.jpg
20180815_213529.jpg

Flat car #2. Slightly less detailed than the first, so there is room for improvement. This one also has small stake pockets on it, so I may try to fabricate stakes for it.

All look like late 60's through early 1980's era Athearn blue box kits. MAny were semi-generic designs with semi correct paint.

All look like late 60's through early 1980's era Athearn blue box kits. MAny were semi-generic designs with semi correct paint.
Thanks. The current plan is for a layout based in late 60s to early 70s, so that's close enough for me.

As Dave posted, all but the green flatcar are Athearn blue box models.
I'll start with the ATSF 11074 boxcar. It is very close to being accurate from 1954. It was built by ATSF and is a general purpose boxcar (XL) with interior retaining devices, hooks, rings or "E-tracks". It was normally used to haul any non-perishable loads.
The ATSF 90806 flatcar is representational of a series built in 1967, but I cannot readily identify the builder. As with the boxcar, flatcars could haul anything. In the era that it would be active, that might be machinery, pipe loads, concrete or steel beams, etc.
The D&TS boxcar appears to be one of those "imagined" models that Athearn sold. Double door boxcars were mainly used for wide loads like automobile frames or lumber, but could be used for many other things as well.
The LV 8247 is a plug door boxcar used where sealing off the elements was important. Cargoes might include cardboard either in bulk or as a protection for the cargo. It appears to be a pretty good representation of one of their cars from the 60's. It may have been built earlier than the "new" date stenciled on this model. I believe that ACF (American Car & Foundry) was the manufacturer. Plug doors are not just used on reefers. The car type shown on this model is "XML" is indicative of a generic boxcar with load restraints. Reefers are normally "RB" or "RBL" for non-mechanical types.
MILW 65640 is probably a prototype model but I have no further information. Cars in that number range were all flatcars. It is a standard generic flatcar as indicated by the car type "FM" stenciled near the right.
I have been to a website that shows the spotting features of various manufacturers, but I am unable to locate it right now. Further information regarding "AAR Mechanical Designations can be obtained here.
A couple of general comments here. Interior detailing is OK if you open the doors when spotted at an industry, but railroads didn't move a car with open doors when loaded. While detailing the underside of a car is a great idea, I don't do it because other than some hanging brake equipment, it is not seen on my flat layout. I do however turn the floors upside down on many Athearn models to get the boards exposed on the bottom and the weight inside the car, but if you're modeling loads this is a moot point. You might try it on the sealed door boxcar. It takes a little thought, but is relatively easy without any additional parts.
Good luck.

This is the first of several boxcars I have.
Can't tell if the build date is 6-36 or 6-56! But Athearn paint scheme's aren't known to be accurate anyway. It is hard to tell who the manufacturer is. My first thought was an American Car Foundry (ACF) because of the "fish belly" under the doors. However, on ACF cars the fish belly part usually runs the entire length of the car, so...? It could be any of dozens of manufacturers producing cars - not to mention the railroads own shops - in that time period. But what we do know?
1. The doors are very obviously built by Superior door company. The welded version came out in 1941, before that they were riveted. Since we see rivets the 6-36 build date makes more sense, however doors were constantly swapped and changed through a cars lifetime.
2. The roof it is a 1932 "Standard Railway Co" roof pattern, however this same pattern was adopted by Hutchins Company and called a "Hutchins all welded Type 1" in the mid 1930s. One would have to measure the size of the panels and of the raised section to know for certain.
3. The ends - while not pictured since this is an Athearn model I know that they are a dreadnaught end. Probably a 4-5 riveted "rolling pin" type.

Single door boxcar.
This is a 12 panel American Association of Railroads (AAR) design. But here the paint scheme is from a much newer car and just wrong. I believe that build date is 11-40 but it is marked as a Bx64. Santa Fe was only up to Bx59 in 1950. So it did not get to Bx64 until the mid to late 1950s.
Sides - 12 panel riveted
Roof - 1932 Standard or 1936 Hutchins
Ends - Dreadnaught probably another 4-5 rolling pin.
Door - pre 1941 Superior

Last edited:
Flat car #2..
That is Athearn's incorrect interpretation of a Greenville Steel Car Co 53' foot flat. It is too short, the decking isn't right, and as far as anyone I know can find the version with the brake wheel on the side was only build for the Western & Maryland RR.

Thanks for the help guys. I have more to post, I just haven't photographed them yet.

20180815_213542.jpg
20180815_213552.jpg

I have one other stock car, but it's similar to this one. Posted this one for Willie because of the Texas connection.

Back