Help me understand LED's?

It does bother me though when voltage is talked about for LEDs as if they are light bulbs.
This, in an of itself, is an example of where I just don't get electrical theory. I obviously get the difference between a tungsten filament and a solid diode. But should we not talk about voltage when talking LED's? It is clearly something that needs to be controlled.

I'll take a yellow card for that. There is always time, and I was out on vacation last week, but one always has to consider if providing more information will help the conversation or just confuse it. Analogies always fall apart at some point of detail so to use or not use?!? On the forum on the other side of the tracks there was a fellow who was always technically perfect. But sometimes a person's question would be answered until he interjected a more technically correct description or solution. It just confused the OP and it could take another two weeks of posts to get it straightened out into a usable set of info again. So I always consider it a lot before I jump in, especially if there is a working "solution" on the table which in this case there was.

It does bother me though when voltage is talked about for LEDs as if they are light bulbs.
I admit, sometimes when I read your answers, at first I'm confused. I find that rereading does the trick. Read, reread, repeat as necessary.

They are certainly inexpensive enough, I note that the 3 legged one is mounted through a hole and the rectagular is surface mount, although I guess there is no reason they cannot be used free floating, but how are they size wise in comparison to the resistors we normally use i.e. how easy/difficult are they to use within the confines of a models shell and why 3 wiring connectors?

the third wiring connector on the surface mount is n/c, same as second pin on through hole TO92 style, on the CL2N8 package and the CL2N3 package .. just a 20ma constant current source, for pretty well maximum brightness

Back