Help me find this loco (EL-3a)

only_in_a_yj

Does anyone know of a company making this locomotive in HO scale? From what I've found its an Alco-Westinghouse EL-3a. This was the primary locomative used for the layout I am planning.

el3a.jpg

el3a2.jpg

Those have only been made in BRASS in HO, both Alco in 1978 and Overland Models in 1990 imported them, the Overland is the one to look for as it is the better runner of the two. Expect to pay a pretty penny for them as only 250 were made from Alco while Overland only made 80.

Derek,
Those are some very rare beasts...and expensive as well. What is the exact era you want to model?

To my knowlege, these have never been made in N scale. There were so few made in HO scale that I can't imagine the market could have supported the tooling and marketing costs in N scale.

After alot of research and some info from my dad, we figured out that the EL-3a's he used to see on the yard all the time must have been used as switchers or something. He said he saw alot of FMs and EL-C's pulling the freight.

I don't kow how old your dad is but the EL-3a's were in common use as coal drag power at least into the mid-50's. I don't think many EL-3a's were used as switchers since the Virginian dieselized switching in about 1957. I believe that all the EL-3a's were scrapped shortly after the N&W merger in 1959.

He was younger when he used to see them, so we don't know what they were really being used for. He can just remember seeing them regularly (sp?). Thanks for all your help, I can finally stop searching all the online hobby stores looking for it.

Thanks for all the help!

Derek the squareheads were built starting in 1925 and ran until 1960. You might not need them depending on what era you choose, though right after they were disposed of the Virginian merged with the Norfolk & Western. Most of the Virgianian steam power is also rare and somewhat distintive as are the other electrics. One of the reasons you don't see many modelers doing a Vriginain based line.

Back