Help Identifying Small Steam Engine, 0-4-4T

beiland

Several years ago I acquired this small steam engine from an estate sale here in FL. What I noticed about it right away was all the nice detail that had been added to it. The gentleman had put some very nice workmanship into it.

It doesn't run at the moment, but I'll figure that out once I get my layout up and running. It's quite a heavy little loco, so its tractive capability should be quite good.

It has no markings as to its origin, so I was wondering if someone might recognize what it started out life as??

I doubt such a small steamer would have had a double-axled trailer truck. Locally, we have an active 2-8-2 Baldwin that has the same configuration as the one you show above the wheels. It's a larger engine, but only needs a single axle trailer and a single axle engine truck. My guess is that this was a 0-4-0 docksider or shunter, possibly a 2-4-2.

This is a Mantua; or, Tyco Booster 0-4-0 Side Tank locomotive that has been highly modified. Many detail parts have been added to make it look as though it could have been a real loco that might have existed. Additions that readily jump out at me are: Valve Gear, Brake Gear, Four Wheel Trailing Truck, and extra tankage and piping. Who ever did the modifications really did a nice job as they took what was pretty much a "Sow's Ear" and turned it into a "Silk Purse" Also lighting has been added. My Tyco Booster had a white painted lens in the head and back-up lights. It does appear to be missing the link from the eccentric to the valve gear on the right side. I don't know whether a 0-4-4 ever existed and in this case I really wouldn't care if one did, as it is a very interesting model that I would use as a logging locomotive.

It does appear to be missing the link from the eccentric to the valve gear on the right side.
I'll have to take a look at that,...didn't see it.

I don't know whether a 0-4-4 ever existed and in this case I really wouldn't care if one did, as it is a very interesting model that I would use as a logging locomotive.
I was thinking of using it as a yard loco for a lumber/sawmill operation. I need to convert it to DCC I imagine as it might share some trackage. That might involve a motor change?

From a historical standpoint, there were some more beefy switchers in Vermont that were used to haul around granite, talc and presumably marble at the mines. However, in doing some brief research, the closest I came was Hercules, the 0-6-2T that was owned by Rock of Ages. It's actually still there, but no longer runs.

As for a motor replacement and DCC conversion, your best bet is to replace the motor and gearing. I've tried a few different minimum changes items to convert mine to DCC and there's always something connected to metal that prevents it from working. The NWSL catalog and website are still working for now. That's your best bet to identify what you'd need.

B, I feel it ain't worth it, adding a decoder and re-motoring it which could force it to need new gearing, too. Will you want sound ? Where would you mount the speaker ? For the $ and time it will take, you could find a state of the art one (Bachmann ?) DCC/no sound, but with great running and pickup quality, shallower flanges, smooth action, with working couplers and maybe even a backup light, for $50-ish, on line. You could then park this one in/near the engine house as 'being repaired' and fuggeddaboudit !!
If you do stay with this one I think a 2 spoke-wheeled pony truck would be more proto than the one on it.

I would not look for sound in this little guy,...only reasonable DCC decoder that could control a non-cogging, perhaps skewed armature 'can' motor. Aren't these available pretty cheap?

Wouldn't the decent motor, under decoder control, perform slow enough speed to not require re-gearing?

Why not sound; yes, it would be tight. However it is the perfect place for a Sugar Cube speaker. Regear/don't regear, your choice.

It was my impression that you had stated you wanted to go with sound. If not, no big deal. DCC, no DCC. Sound, no sound, it is totally your choice.

Forney044.jpg

Look what another fellow came up with,..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forney_locomotive
Very interesting as to why this wheel arrangement
The locomotives were set up to run cab (or bunker) first, effectively as a 4-4-0.......

This fellow is a member of the Flagler Model Railroad club that I visited this past Sat. I mentioned this little loco to him.

Looks like I never went forward (on this forum) with a lot of the discussions I had about these small 'dockside switchers'. I did quite a bit over on MTH (model train hobbist).

I've gotten interested in exploring the subject of belt drives and rubber band drives. This site was just today brought to my attention in reference to rubber band drives,... and this portion peaked my attention thinking of simplified drives for the relatively small switchers that are not pulling much of a load,.. Friction Drives

http://www.nigellawton009.com/Micro_Motor_and_Friction_Drive_Chassis_Application_Notes.pdf

I just purchased ANOTHER docksider loco at my local train show here in FL this past weekend. It a really nice Rivarossi one with full valve gear and looks to be a metal drive gear. At first I thought maybe just make it DCC with no sound,..but when I looked back and rediscovered this video I think perhaps I need to make it run and sound as good as this one !

Just saw this video of a docksider type with sound,....sounds tempting for my loco.

BTW this one in the video does NOT have the full valve gear,....

I'll have to take a look at that,...didn't see it.

I was thinking of using it as a yard loco for a lumber/sawmill operation. I need to convert it to DCC I imagine as it might share some trackage. That might involve a motor change?
Usually the older motors are easy to convert, I've done a couple of Triang loco's, both were over 50+yrs

Back