Hello from Sydney, Australia

Dunalastair

I'm returning to railway modelling after a break of two or three decades, and in a rather different form than previously. I began with British outline 00, principally of the Caledonian Railway in LMS guise. The layout I had at the time did not work very well and is probably best forgotten. It was a branch terminus, patterned pretty much on Dave Howsam's Porthleven (featured in, I think, the July 1967 issue of the Railway Modeller) with the station building being modelled on Blairgowrie (I can't remember now what prototypes the other buildings were based on). Then I switched to modelling Australian (NSW) railways in H0 but eventually did less and less until my modelling activities ceased.

The birth of our first grandson (I say first as he now has a brother now aged six months) prompted me to take it up again to amuse both him and myself. This time I purchased some Hornby Dublo 3 rail equipment, starting with a Bristol Castle and some WR coaches and now I have most of the Dublo 3 rail locomotives except the rare and expensive ones. I do not have a layout yet, but there is one planned. Until then I have been making do with assembling the tracks on the dining room table (by a happy coincidence Dublo large radius curves fit on the table perfectly). There will be the odd Caledonian Railway loco putting in an appearance as well - once I get around to assembling the some kits and modifying some RTR items that I have put aside.

I'm not sure how active I will be on this forum compared to a couple of others I visit from time to time, as my modelling is primarily UK prototype.

Welcome.gif Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. We have another member from down under, tootnkumin who visits us in the Coffee Shop on a regular basis. I enjoy his posts and videos and photos he posts of the Australian and New Zealand railroads. Stop by for a cup some time.

Welcome to the Forums and back into the Hobby mate. I like the reason you gave for getting back into it as well and hope you and your grandson/s have a lot of fun with it.

Wondered where you were from, after seeing your Hornby loco posts on Rodney's thread. We've quite a number of ex UK modellers in my club in brisbane. Hornby, still has a big following here.

Now that was interesting, although obviously it is in the wrong part of the country for me to be involved in that one, not that I'm involved in any model railway clubs at this stage.

Nice too that it isn't one of those Facebook pages that you can't access unless you have an account.

Back