Hello from East Tennessee!

My grandfather (dad's side of the family) engineered the train from Etowah, TN to Corbin, KY for the L&N. My other grandfather (mom's side) worked in the shops in Etowah, TN. They used to have a large complex there through the 1970s. Also, I unload coal cars from time to time at the plant where I work. So I've always been interested in trains.

Last Friday I took my grandson to the large display of model trains in the Crossville Outlet Mall in Crossville, TN. It is a wonderful display of all the gauges and is free and open to the public. If you ever go by there on I-40 I highly recommend stopping to see it. I think it's amazing, and my grandson's eyes were as big as saucers the whole time we were there.

So I decided that I am going to build him (and me!) a model railroad set in the garage. I don't know how big it will end up being (has anyone else said that before? :) ). He lives in Indianapolis so I don't know if he'll be able to take it home with it (I may have to do two!).

Anyway, I will be asking many questions until I get my get on the ground. Please forgive my ignorance.

Here's a funny fact: I live in Meigs County Tennessee. This is the only county in Tennessee that doesn't have railroad tracks.

I have attached a picture of my grandfather leaving Etowah on Engine 363, an ALCO FA-2. I'm not sure what year it was taken.

Attachments

• pappaw1.jpg
    pappaw1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 187
Thank you all for the warm welcome. By the way, I didn't mention it but my profile picture is at work aboard a GP-10 #4602. It has an interesting history. It was obtained from Army surplus. I got an Intermountain HO 49816-03 Paducah GP10, US Army #4614 (Equipped with ESU LokPilot Select Non-Sound Decoder) which is just like it, but the lettering is yellow and the number is wrong. But I have seen some YouTube videos on changing numbers, so hopefully I can make it into 4602. This will be my prize engine. I hope to get permission to bring my grandson into the plant and get his picture standing on the real engine. I think that will make him appreciate the nodel train even more.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us. Nice photo of your grandfather.

Don't hesitate asking questions. All of us were beginners at the hobby at one time. If you do have any questions, I'm sure that someone on the forum can help you. Stop by the coffee shop and have a cup and meet some of the members..

Back