Hawks NEW "MHO Junction" layout

Hawkesburytrain

Hey everyone,

October is just around the corner and I should be starting with my new layout soon.
I'm still finishing my basement, still about 1-2 weeks of work.
For now, here's an almost final design.

Track Plan Almost Final V2.3.jpg

Since I'm not very electrically knowledge, I need help.
I have a NCE Pro 5 system and with the size of my layout, I know I should have power districts.
Could someone draw me where I should have my districts and is the system good enough for the size of the layout or do I need a booster?
Also, for the districts, what do I need and how should it be wired?
Do I need district circuit breakers?

I just want to make sure I don't forget anything and if I did, please let me know what I need
Thanks

Last edited:
I have a NCE Pro 5 system and with the size of my layout, I know I should have power districts.
Could someone draw me where I should have my districts and is the system good enough for the size of the layout or do I need a booster?
Also, for the districts, what do I need and how should it be wired? Do I need district circuit breakers?

If it's just you, and you'll only be running 1 or 2 trains, you don't need districts, breakers, or a booster.

The easy one first - boosters. As a rule of thumb, you figure 1 amp per locomotive (yes, that's a gross over simplification), so your base system is capable of handling 5 locos. That could be 5 trains with one engine each, or 1 train with 5 engines. <<Assuming HO>>

Now to districts and breakers. There are several reasons for installing districts, but the most basic is so that a fault in one area of the layout does not shut down the entire layout. Realize a fault in a large layout with only one district could be a nightmare to locate. I'd put breaks (district boundaries) at "two old passenger cars", that is prior to entry of the yard complex, at "11 1/2", prior to the entrance to the helix, just past Medusa Cement, and one for the helix and staging(?) yard.

Thanks Kevin,

So four districts it is. Now, what do I need to go with my NCE, any suggestions on what I need to buy and is there any special wiring to be done? or is there a video or web site that explains how to insert them to my layout?

Thanks

Tony, Montana, I'm still working on my video setup, the what where and how...LOL

Hi,
I´ve read your first layout thread and it was a very fine piece of work. I have done some rebuilds on my current layout because I was not happy with some parts of it, so I can understand your reason for the new start. Your new plan looks great and I hope to see the start of the build, soon.
Thanks for sharing your build.

Regards,Chris

So four districts it is. Now, what do I need to go with my NCE, any suggestions on what I need to buy and is there any special wiring to be done? or is there a video or web site that explains how to insert them to my layout?

Again, it depends. You could run all 4 districts off the single command station. All you would need would be 4 breakers: NCE EB1's, Tan Valley CFJ's, or many others. Most DCC manufacturers NCE, Digitrax, Lenz, Tam Valley, DCC Concepts, CVP, etc., etc. make breakers and boosters.

I wouldn't take that route, even if you will only be running a few trains. I would go ahead and install boosters, since they provide the same level of protection plus the added train capacity. The cost difference is relatively small: $50 for boosters vs. $30 for breakers. (Well, plus the cost of a power supply.) The boosters connect to the command bus and, in essence, expand the power console. Tony's has a good overview here:

http://tonystrains.com/download/MRR-PowerDist.pdf

Thanks Kevin, Chris

Kevin, This should help, it's still way over my head, but will take the time to read up on the subject.

Even though the work is still not completed on the basement, I will get started on cutting what's needed for parts of my framework. As for the basement, I still need to paint (blue) and finish the gyprock on the ceiling to close off the duct work.

The layout design is completed and in the mail, I should be getting it this week. I did get a copy of the Anyrail file so I can print 1:1 the track work. I can tell you it has just short of 1000' of tracks and just short of 100 turnouts. 5 people can join an operation session and the layout can hold 130 rolling stock.

Then there's always an opportunity in building a second level....................YA SURE.

Later

Sounds like you're starting to move ahead. Any construction work started yet. I love to follow a layout from plans to operation. Really enjoyed Kens D&J and will be tuned in to yours too.

............................................................ Chet

Hey Montanan, no work started yet, finishing the joints on my wall then paint. But starting soon on cutting the frame work parts to assemble later. I've also been following Ken's work and I intend to build my frame work the same way or close to it.

Hey logan, ambitious ................. YES, but always liked a challenge and especially a goal.
What does MHO stand for............
I live half way between Montreal and Ottawa which is close to Hawkesbury, therefore making H the junction between M and O
Couldn't find anything else and thought it would be better than Hawks HO Layout....LOL

Have attached an image of a Los Angeles Junction Ry Switch Map & notes from Charlie Slater a retired LAJ conductor. Boxcars can be loaded/unloaded using bridge boards between them on parallel spurs.

Pacific Coast Terminal Map & Original Switching Notes Charlie Slater.bmp.jpg

Latest update

I'm a bit off schedule due to a few unforeseen problems, but will be ready for November

This is the before picture. I had to take all the wall boards down, the brick wall and brick floor

Aug032015 002.JPG

The after picture. Next week will be the painting. I'll have so much work to do in building the layout, that the office you see in the second picture, is my wife's office which will move upstairs probably at the end of April, unless the building of the layout goes fast.

Aug032015 003.JPG

Aug032015 004.JPG

The following week I'm on vacation for 10 days and when I get back on the 4th of November, I'll be starting on my new layout. In the mean time you can all enjoy this little video of my new layout.

See you all at the beginning of November for the start of my new layout

Later

Last edited:
This will be nice to follow along with. Have you got structures for the layout built already?
By the way I use a PS 4 , my layout is divided into 4 power districts. Not sure though if would be compatible with your system.

Looking GOOD Hawk! Play it by ear on the districts, I'm pushing over 100 feet of track with one power feed. I know this will change as the track ages and I put more loco's on but I had 4 loco's chasing each other around and had no hiccups electrically, just derailments.

Back