H0 BNSF Dash 9 - Advice Needed

Alien

I was wanting to build an H0 BNSF Dash 9 and have noticed that there are two possible contenders as a basis for this loco - Kato or Athearn. The only versions that I have come across from either manufacturer have two and a half cab side windows however most BNSF Dash 9s appear to have four cab side windows. Have other H0 versions with four windows and gull wing roof been produced or has anyone out there successfully kit bashed such a variation?

I have obtained a second-hand Kato AC4400 in BNSF livery which has the correct style cab and the later version of the fuel tank and was considering kit bashing this along with a spare Kato Dash 9 body, but this would involve some work in removing the air conditioner from the sub cab of the AC4400 and substituting the sub cab from the Dash 9 along with substituting the long hood of the latter. Would I be better off trying to carve out and re-build the four side windows on the spare Dash 9 body and sticking it onto the AC4400 chassis?

You might look around you sould be able to find just the cab that you need. I will look and see if I can find any info. I think klasco might have what you are looking for.

Look up NSmodeler24 on Youtube. He does some great walk throughs on how to bash these engines. I saw one where he was trading out windows from 3 to 4. You can leave him questions on youtube also.
Good luck
Alan

It's MUCH easier to start with a proper Athearn Dash 9 with the staggered height radiator grilles and Gull Wing cab, and use the Details West BNSF Dash 9 window kit, and BNSF Dash 9 detail kit.

The Kato Dash 9 represents an early model, the BNSF 960-1123, or Santa Fe delivered, BNSF 599-699. Athearn also has a "Santa Fe gullwing" Dash 9 that represents this model, you want the BNSF gullwing unit.

Using a Kato AC4400 cab works, but you'll have to remove the AC from the sub-base and re-insert the proper Dash 9 battery box. And, if you're using the Kato Dash 9 for the later BNSF units, you'll have to re-size the grilles previously mentioned.

I have some advice also. Dont rule out RPP (Rail Power Products) and Atlas Models. I have frequently seen C44-9Ws from them both on ebay. You can get them undecorated and you can even buy just the parts you need. Go onto ebay and look up "C44-9W Body" or "C44-9W Shell" and you should get some decent results. I hope I was of some help. By the way, just the shells typically run for around $20 plus S&H. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I had previously looked on the Details West website for something like a Dash 9 window kit. There was an example of a BNSF Dash 9 with a list of super-detailing parts used, but there was no mention of the window kit. I have now found this after it was pointed out.

Interesting point about the staggered height radiator grilles - I hadn't noticed that before. After scouring through photos, it looks as though the change from uniform height to staggered height occurred on locos delivered after around early 1995.

I haven't come across any Atlas Dash 9s before, only Dash 8s, although I have only been modeling American outline for a few years. How long ago were these produced?

Thanks for the advice. I had previously looked on the Details West website for something like a Dash 9 window kit. There was an example of a BNSF Dash 9 with a list of super-detailing parts used, but there was no mention of the window kit. I have now found this after it was pointed out.

Interesting point about the staggered height radiator grilles - I hadn't noticed that before. After scouring through photos, it looks as though the change from uniform height to staggered height occurred on locos delivered after around early 1995.

I haven't come across any Atlas Dash 9s before, only Dash 8s, although I have only been modeling American outline for a few years. How long ago were these produced?
The Atlas COmpany never produced any Dash 9s that I am aware of. However, I have kitbashed Atlas Dash 8 Wide Cabs into Dash 9 cabs. With doing the Atlas kit bash, you are able to squeeze more detail. Atlas takes it so far that you can even put inreriors in your trains and they variate from desktop to throttle jerker (Standard Control Stand). Thats why I like Atlas so much. However, also be prepared to squeeze that extra penny out as well as Atlas' work doesnt come cheap. There is a store on ebay called "sooo-much-stuff" or something along those lines. Please check it out. He sells a boat load of Atlas parts in a huge variety. I am a long time customer of his and I strongly suggest him for your needs. Thanks.

Back