Greetings from Scotland

Rogue

Flying Scotsman
Good Morning all

Just popped in to introduce myself, I'm from Scotland and have been modelling in British OO scale since January (although I've had an on/off lifetime interest) My wife is a Jersey girl and suggested I should get some U.S trains too (since I like riding them so much when we visit the States) so here I am, I've already bought a couple of Athearn and Atlas locos and have been lurking around this site looking for inspiration (of which there is a lot) . Looking forward to interacting with you guys and getting to know all about the North American scene!

Welcome aboard, Rogue. Do you have a first name we can call you other than Rogue?

There are a bunch of other British modelers here, as you may already know. Some model British only and a few model US prototypes. There are also some that mix both so you won't be alone. Any ideas what US railroads you're most interested in and what era? That always helps since a lot of us model specific roads and eras.

Thanks guys!

Currently I am collecting together locomotives, rolling stock, lineside buildings etc to begin construction of my first layout in the summer. This will be a project for my sons and I, hence the fact that it will not be entirely fixed in a particular period as we want to run trains we like from whenever. I predominantly like the late 50's early 60's period because I like steam, diesel and electric locomotives and this period allows me to run all. My kids also like our local DMU's that we travel on daily and Virgin Rail Pendolinos so these have to run too. I'm also a fan of freight trains run by EWS (formerly owned by Wisconsin Central which explains their colour scheme) Overall our layout will have that 50's/60's feel but we will run the more modern trains too. We are currently converting our large garage into a train room which is why the permanent layout won't be started until Summer. I realise that this will annoy a lot of modellers who want things to be authentic but we want the enjoyment of running what we like rather than total accuracy.
The above of course is for the British side now for the American side. I bought an Athearn GP 35 in Wisconsin Central livery, firstly to check on the quality of the model as I had never seen a US model in person, to check the reliability of the online dealer I bought it from and because it was in EWS colours, lol! Having received the model I must say I was very, very impressed, it runs superbly and for the price, the quality is excellent. I then decided to create a second layout this time placed in the US. It will be roughly modern as I don't intend to run steam, I am unsure as yet which area to use as a template although I will probably go for a North East feel as I visit NJ/NY frequently (I also have an Atlas Alco C424 Ph2 Locomotive in Western New York & Pennsylvania livery) but again will throw away accuracy and run what I like. My wife is also going to build a small but accurate (well, as accurate as possible) layout (or more accurately a diorama) herself, based on Elizabeth "Broad Street" station in New Jersey (her hometown) based on a time when the tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad crossed over the tracks of the Central Railroad of New Jersey and there were two stations, one above (where the Northeast corridor and current station are today) and one below where only the lovely station building remains (well the one remaining after the other station building was totalled in 1972 by a wayward freight car)
We've set ourselves some challenges but the family are really looking forward to it!

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! I to like EWS, but thats a left over from my love of Wisconsin Central.

George,
Sounds like you've got some big plans. Check out http://www.chipengelmann.com/trains/Beginner/BeginnersGuide01.html for a five minute read for beginners just getting started on their layout. It will give you some ideas and things to consider.

As shown by another thread here, very few of us try for complete prototype realism in what we run so you're in good company. It's a lot more fun to do what you like rather than worry about what some other guys thinks about what you've done. :)

That's pretty cool that your wife likes trains and wants to build her own diorama. Most of us can only dream about a wife who has any interest in trains let alone one who wants to actually build something.

Welcome aboard.

Had the pleasure of visiting Scotland a couple of times in the 90s, Glasgow in particular. Love your Central Station!

Thanks for the welcomes, Steve and Josh, Jim: Thanks for the link and yes I am lucky to have such a supportive wife, she loves train journeys wherever we can get them, whether it's Linden (where her family live) To Penn Station NY on NJ Transit or Glasgow to York on National Express East Coast to visit the National Railway Museum. She just bought me a Hornby, EWS Class 60 loco for my birthday so I guess I'm a lucky guy!
Kenw, I'm glad you liked Central, it's one of my favourite stations too despite seeing it every day on my commute! lol! It regularly wins the best station in the UK award so I guess Network Rail must be doing something right!
Thanks again guys for the welcome! :)

Welcome aboard! :)

Don't know if you ever make it to Ireland but there's an interesting museum at Malahide Castle in Dublin. My wife is Irish and we are here in Canada, but we visited it in 1996 when we were over. It's actually funny when you are in a foreign country and see a large model of a steam engine from your home country (a Canadian Pacific engine). :)

Mark

I haven't been there, Mark but I have seen that museum on a DVD and must say it looks great. The only railway museum I have been to is the NRM in York, England which is the biggest in the world. It is a fantastic place and I recommend a visit to anyone who can manage to get there! Are there any Railroad museums in North America (I'm sure there are and could Google for them but a personal recommendation I find is better)

George

George,
There's are lots of railroad museums here. The B&O Museum in Baltimore is probably one of the best. If you like electric traction, the Fox River Trolley Museum is great. For western railroading, the California State and Nevada State museums are well worth a visit. You can find a pretty comprehensive list of US museums at http://www.railmuseums.com/namerica/index.html.

George,

Orra best howzit gaun?! Greetings and welcome!!! I'm from the states, but I borrowed my wife from Dundee. We go across the pond to see family in Carnoustie when we can. You'll find a lot of very nice and knowledgeable people around here. Enjoy your visit.

This is a great museum, never been but a friend worked there, he loved it, they have a huge varied selection of stuff Illinois Railroad museum

Thats a great web site you have there, spot on

Last edited by a moderator:

Back