Got tired of it.

Cjcrescent

Master Mechanic
After fighting with my website host for over a year, I have kissed them goodbye. It seems that they lost my login file, and can't rebuild it so I can get back in and edit it.:(

The way it's supposed to work, is anytime you login to the ISP's home page, or e-mail, you're supposed to be able to edit your own webpage. In the past, every time I had to change my password, the change followed me. The last time it didn't!:mad::mad::mad:

I have spent about 12 hours Monday trying to get this fixed. No one at the help desk, tech support, or even the webpage management can help me. None of them had even come across a problem like this before! I have even waited for a couple of months between calls to try and get the problem fixed, hoping that someone new would have insite into my problem. Monday was the final straw!:mad:

So I have signed up with another webhosting service that's free!:D But I did breakdown and buy my own domain name. I am currently in the process of adding all the info from my last web site onto it and should be back in business in a couple of days.

Anyone else have this kind of problem with their webhost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, never had that type of issue, in fact, 5 years into it, I've not had a problem at all!:D
The club also uses the same service for even longer, and its always worked.
We've been using ICDsoft (in case you are wondering) and are quite happy with it!:D.

The thing that gets me Karl is they said that even if I copied and saved everything from my original site, they couldn't delete the page so I could rebuild it! They said they couldn't find it! I even gave them the address! They said they had no record of it, even though when I clicked on the link in my sig, it came up!

Well, that's shocking. Seems they don't know how to manage their own database. Why couldn't they just issue a new password?

I think you are wise to move to a new host. No IT company worth it's salt would lose access to customer data. Must be some kid with a server under his bed.

...Why couldn't they just issue a new password?

They said that when I changed my old password to a new one, the change should have followed. When I explained that it didn't, and could they give me a new one for the website, they said no. They could only issue/change passwords for logging into the main site, as that covered all sub sites associated with them. They couldn't issue a password for a sub-site by itself.

I told them I had 12 years experience as a network admin. my last years as an OR Nurse, and what they just said was BS. I did it all the time and if they couldn't, they needed to get a network admin who could.

I understand, gonna let mine go dormant for a few weeks. Had a new PC custom built by the oldest son (thats what he does, he's a geek) so when he brings the grandkids over for Easter, he's bringing it too.
We're gonna transfer everything over, but my webhost no longer supports Frontpage, so I figure nows as good a time as any to learn a new web program.
The new PC will replace this one, then this "old" Athlon unit will replace the Compaq P3 running the NCE and DecoderPro. Amazingly, it still works at 17 years old!!! ;)

OK Fellas, I've gotten enough of my new site up to get it published. The website is;

http://www.alabamacentralrailway.com/

I'll get my new site into my sig shortly. There will be much more coming soon.

Got it done. Clicking either here, or the link in my signature will get you there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back