Going to purchase first jars of paint, what else?

NYSW F45

Ok so today (saturday) marks the day i purchase a couple jars of paint. Believe it or not, the fiancee is the one who said maybe I should get some, go figure. What else do I need to purchase for the first time? thinner obviously. those little squeezy things to suck paint up? airbrush cleaner, which i've seen at pearl paints here in nj.

Im going to get NYS&W colors soon, but not today. Im thinking i might get colors for my prototypical railroad, which the name still has not been choosen. Thinking New Jersey & Northern, or The Atlantic & New Jersey (With a seashore type colors as a paint scheme)

primer was in the list already. I just didn't know what else to get besides the paint, thinner and those sucking things.

Dullcote and Glosscote on the list? Extra jars for sure, since you'll need a place to store custom mixed colors.

Looks like a lot of great ideal's.
I also like to have small brush and qtips for cleaning.

One thing I like to do if I mix custom colors is spray a 2x2 square plastic sheet stock of the color and write the mix on the back. This way I can remix the color if I run out.
I use a 5x8 index card with a pic printed on one side of the prototype car and the other side has the color, decal's, car info and detail parts on it. I will place these 2x2 painted stock and the index card in a 5x8 index card box for later review.

Speaking of spraying your mix on a card, anyone know where I can get a FULL book of those color swatches found in the paint section of home improvement stores? I think it might help in matching paints to photos or prototypes.

I hate to pick up every single color swatch from the stores, there's SOO many!

Ok i made my first purchase of paints. I was constantly looking at the color chips of the polly scale rack and could not make up my mind. I wanted a yellow that was as close to NYSW yellow as possible. Of the models i've painted i had used tamiya camel yellow as it matched the older F45 and SD45's perfectly. But the newer fleet has a little more lighter yellow and someone mentioned the CSX yellow to be pretty close.

Also picked up:
Polly scale BNSF silver for my freelanced railroad (Trucks,fuel tank,frame, just like the BNSF engines)
Floquil primer. They only had a zinc primer by polly scale. Didn't like that fact it was red.
Testors thinner
Model Master sucking thingies
and the metal adjustable clamp for the shells.

Now that it was mentioned on here, I didnt see any mixing jars. I already have a jar of dullcote. Im going to pick up those pipe cleaner things also. I did pick up a how to air brush book while there, but it was geared more towards plastic models and not model trains. There is one and i'll pick that up next paycheck.

Now I just need to download those 1/87th scale drawings off of railfan.net and print some out for my freelanced railroad. Trying to decide on the look and paint colors.

Thanks Jim, Might be a while before I spend that much, but its better then having the collection of cards all over the place...

how many mixing jars should I order from walthers? are these mixing jars ones with the straw for paint pickup into the airbrush?

Back