Going to Make a Special Memorial Car

kwalker421

H-8 Lover
ok, here's the story and plan.

We all remember our grandfathers, right? The lazy summer days fishing (in my case being taught how to drive a tractor), stories from back in his day, or back from the war, and you soaking up every word he says like a sponge. The laughs we shared...and then, there comes that day.

My grandfather, Robert Shultz, was one of the main persons in my life. oh man, he was a character. the things he said, and the stories he told were amazing. He passed away on Augest 2nd this year.

anyway, sorry for my soap box. now for my plan. i have a junk box boxcar that i am going to put a memorial of the sides for my dear old pop. I have a signiture from my airsoft forum that i think i may use but i needed one thing to be erased. here it is.

attachment.php

ehh sorry, im still kinda new to this upload thing

the boxcar picture was HUGE so i'll just explain it. it's a plug door, BN boxcar spray painted gray

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss.
They have printable decals available that might help. You might even be able to use a picture of him

KWALKER,

Your Grandfather would be be proud. I am so sorry for your loss. I too had the most fortunate experience of a grandfather who shared some amazing and colorful stories, made you feel as if you were there too. What a grand thing to do in his honor. Please post pics to show us your efforts. You have given me food for thought......

God Bless,

Johnny

UPDATE:

so, i grinded the boxcar's sides to make it as flat as possible. the doors are little more than marks and the car is pretty dang flat if i may say so myself. i also took an X-acto knife and took off the rails for the doors and extruding parts of the boxcar off. then, i painted one side and the roof a flat black. i'll probably add another coat as well. after that dries i'll paint the other half and do the same process. then, i'll put on the decals. here are some pictures

Here's what it looked like after sanding

ModelRailroad015.png

Here's the first side and the roof painted

ModelRailroad018.png

ModelRailroad017.png

sorry, im not the best at close up photography

Last edited by a moderator:
A Salute to your Grandfather...

And to you, who did a remarkable job of creating a car in his honor. Nice Job, Sir.

Johnny

Back