Getting it right

NYC_George

Last year I uploaded this photo of my diesel fueling pad and some one commented that the water and fuel hoses were out of scale. I replaced the wire I used for the project with even a smaller size and the water hoses still look out of scale. When I worked in Brewster, NY the water hoses where about 2 inches in diameter. They were used to refill the steam generator water tanks. The fuel hoses where about in the 3 inch range. It was a long time ago, it’s hard to recall. Well anyway this is the updated version. It’s close to what the sanding tower, fueling pad and engine house pit looked like at Brewster but not in the same arrangement as shown in the photo.

NYC_George

George, I think the fuel lines and water hoses are still a touch big but more than close enough for a realistic scene. I'd say good enough and call it done.

I think it looks good. The only thing that stood out to me was the lack of handrails along the edges of the inspection pit. It would only add insult to injury if the welder, running for water after burning his hand, fell in the pit!

Pit Gap

Hi Paul
The pit at Brewster, NY had no hand rails. I think because there was a bridge type apparatus that was weighted at its rear and was rolled on wheels to meet the engine's steps. It bridged the pit gap so employees could get on and off the engine. A railing would have been in the way. I once tried to drop down from the engines step’s to the pit’s floor and almost killed my self. You just had to wait until someone pushed the rolling bridge close enough for you to get off safely.

NYC_George

I think it's an excellent Job. But about getting it right, I can tell you there would be no fueling operations going on 25 feet from a welder. :D

Good point Ham but my basement is not Brewster yard so I had to condense the engine house area to make things fit. I’m glad you’re paying attention to detail though.

NYC_George

Back