Gaudy Paint Schemes..

BCK RR

What does one think of when they or someone else sates thats a Gaudy paint scheme?

BCK RR

5736.1458444060.jpg

Forum:

Even though I don't model the BNSF, one of my first DCC locomotives was a BNSF loco like the one shown in Horseman's post. I like the paint job and still have the Atlas loco as one of my favorites. Brought it just because I liked the paint and color scheme. The base color of orange and the lettering looks great.

Runs great!

Thanks.

Greg

Back in the '90s, I'd occasionally go railfanning and I recall seeing an industrial switcher that was painted DayGlo green. I suppose they did it for safety reasons because it was impossible not to see it.

Steve S

As a diehard fan of the B&O during the 1968-1972 period - when they painted their locos dark blue with yellow trim - I lamented what I considered the "gaudy" Chessie System paint scheme when it first appeared in October 1972. Obviously many other modelers did not share my view, since Chessie has proven much more popular through the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit to being a fan of bright color schemes (gaudy if you will), I'll even stick my neck out and say I really like UP's, I'm not a fan of black 'cause it disguises detail (I do ask myself why in that case I model mainly MRL, can anyone help). BNSF, I like the scheme with the large gold letters as shown in I.H's pic but prefer the Heritage2 with the dark green contrast rather than the black. Don't like the BN green or the Conrail blue though.

BNSF, I like the scheme with the large gold letters as shown in I.H's pic but prefer the Heritage2 with the dark green contrast rather than the black.
I don't know if they did it on purpose or not but going to the black eliminated the eye sore (every one knows that technically an eye sore is a set of colors that fatigue a human's eye when looked at long enough, right?), so it became a Halloween scheme and then they went and added the wedgy logo to it. That logo would ruin any paint scheme.
Don't like the BN green.
I never did either until it was gone. After they had been missing from common service for a while I saw one in a consist and suddenly understood its statement about the RRs geography and its elegance in simplicity.

I've always liked Chessie Systems paint scheme and I.T. RR's paint scheme . here's another which I think is gaudy as well ... it's the lead Unit .

BCK RR

7756.jpg

Actually I think all the different color schemes, gaudy or not, is one of the great attractions of US rail. Such a huge variety.

I think these units are interesting in a sea of similar looking locomotives fielded by the few class 1's left.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back