Gatx Sd38-2

Willis,

Those air hoses are by Details West #295. They are a white metal casting. There is also a 3 hose cluster, #294

Dan

Thanks Dan, the 3 hose cluster would be right for mine. Man those delrin ones I used, well the less said about them the better, don't even hold the paint, and I'm not so sure they'll even stay on with the CA cement.

Cheers Willis

Dan,
Out of curiosity, with the Kato SD38-2 comming out, would you have used that as a starting point and just replaced the radiator intakes and nose with Cannon & Co. parts?

I'm getting ready to model a BN SD38-2 & TEBCU-6 set so seeing you project has got me wondering about using the Kato model or rebuilding the Athearn SD40-2.

Beautiful model too!!! Seeing models like that are one of the major reasons I want, or am getting back into HO.

Bill,
I used a Proto-Power West chassis. Which consisit of an Athearn chassis upgraded with a can motor and then fine-tuned.

Jeep,
This project was started over 2 years ago, long before Kato even thought about doing the SD38-2. If I had to do another I'd use the Kato as is.

aay.jpg

As for the weathering, its not complete yet. Been working two jobs over the winter so no time :(

Aw yuh dirtied it all up, Realistic looking loco Dan, an excellent job by a craftsman. BTW thanks for the tip about the Details West hoses, they came in the mail yesterday and that's what I'll be using from now on.
Cheers Willis

Dan,
I just saw a picture of your loco at a meet in Minnesota. How did your work fare against all that other stuff?

Dan,

There was a lot of very well done models at the show Saturday!! I would have to say that my SD38-2, GP28M and B30-7 were some of the best models there, IMHO. I always enjoy talking to fellow railroad modelers, for you can always learn something new.

Dan

Did you get any photos of that other stuff for yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan,

Care to share what went into that GP28M? That's one fine looking locomotive!

I'd agree, after reviewing the photos, that your models are among the best. How about Frank Jordan, though, huh? Pretty eclectic collection and some of it is fairly old.

Rich,

I started with a RPP (Rail Power Products) GP35 shell on an PPW (Proto Power West) GP35 chassis. Granted the prototypes are built with GP9/18 chassis, but decided that I could live with the 1 foot difference in length. Added a bunch of Cannon parts and Athearn GP38-2 dynamic brake section.
Here are some photo's of the model before she was painted.

abq.jpg

abp.jpg

Thanks, Dan. I see my eyes are getting better at this. I pretty much had this figured out by looking at your painted model, but seeing it raw really spells out the kitbash for me. Looks like I need to do some arm twisting on my friend with a bunch of GP35 shells... ;)

Back