garage layout progress (part 2)

I have been away from the forum a while but I followed your thread back then. Just spent the last hour catching up....really nice. Can't wait to see how everything turns out. I like the idea of a computer controlled layout. I am a computer geek so the programming and wiring are not a problem. How did you figure all this out?

Again, thanks for the kind word. :)
i didn't really invent anything new, just looked around to see what others do and spent bunch of time reading through TD, Digitrax and JMRI documentation . you already replied in the thread that inspired me to make a retractable shelf for electronics. i am way overdue on scenery however and from that prospective my layout doesn't look impressive. taking care of 2.5YO does not leave to much free time. console myself that at least it is operational enough to run trains.

new addition to family - Team digital BlocD8 Block Occupancy detector.

all wired up and configured. and it even works!

DSC_8964-vi.jpg

I'm trying to use two BlocD8's on my layout via loconet USB with the NCE Power Pro digital command system. I got the first one working fine but seem incapable of changing the address on the second one from the factory setting.
I have read the manual over and over and have tried "smart programming " and page mode programming in Ops mode without success.
Clearly I have missed something - can anyone help?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been on for quite some time and here are quite the news - story of this layout is ending! It will be taken apart and scavenged for parts unless someone from chicagoland area sees it and says "wow, i want this" . but then we all know the Likelihood of that :)

yet it is not a tragedy whatsoever as the reason for the end is that we are moving! bank accepted our offer and if all goes right in month and half or so we will occupy our new place. and there is a good sized basement good chunk of which is already allocated to our new layout. railroading basement was a requirement in our search. during our initial visit once wife was happy with upstairs we went to the lower level and her words were "wow , nice? how about this area here for the railroad". in time it will be a proper multi level around the walls layout, of as professional quality as i can pull off. aside of workshop all the painting and model building also will have a dedicated "Crafts" room . no more working in the cold! :D on the downside i will to rename my railroad... :laugh:

of course lots of things will need to happen before i can start railroad construction , like total renovation of this foreclosure place that is unoccupied since summer. and then when it warms up tons yard-work outside. and then the question arises - perhaps i want to do my railroading outside? and perrhaps in size i can ride on! BIG yard!

i'm excited to no end. packing my trains (no! i'm not selling my collection!!!) and getting ready!!!

Hello MRRForums members. I guess I will reuse this thread for reintroduction as It's been quite some time now. Family grew, so far my hobby was limited to collecting/ showing trains on shelf , once a year running on carpet and dreaming of a layout.

Now that my boy is of age we are contemplating a real modular build. Aside of my want to play with trains again This hobby will be my vessel to get him interested in CAD and electronics. My own skill with CAD , electronics , arduino , embedded computing grew quite a bit, not to mention carpentry. I aquired better laser cutter and some tools that not every garage has. Can't wait to set of on another MRR journey

Regards!

Anton,

Just got done going through your thread. Looking forward to following along in your new build. Especially interested in your Adruino experience, and what you will do with it. We started a thread a few weeks ago, as several of us were interested in it. Hope will jump in the discussion, and share your help and knowledge to us that are struggling on where to begin.

Last edited:

Back