Gap-Cutting Razor Saw

GNMT76

I'm looking for a razor saw to cut an electrical gap (to then be filled in with styrene or another insulating material) in a HO nickel-silver track rail. I'd prefer to buy just one, though I see that X-ACTO makes the saw set in this link:

http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/tools-accessories/detail/X75300

Zona also sells a number of individual saws, but from its website it's not clear which is appropriate - or best - for cutting rail.

I'd appreciate suggestions on Zona models that'll do the job, as well as other makes and models.

Thank you.

I use a Dremmel tool with a cut off wheel and sometimes fill the gap with styrene. If the gap is on a straight section of track, I just leave the gap. . Those razor saws can also be used. I have a couple of them and they come in handy for all sorts of projects.

I like Chet, use my Dremel tool with a off-wheel to create gaps in my HO Cocde 83 rail. I also use my Zona saw to cut loose sections of flex track at the work bench. While relatively inexpensive, Atlas saws work fairly well but in my opinion do not retain their sharp cutting teeth.

Since I run DCC there is little need for gaps except when wiring a reverse loop and there at all gaps I use pieces of styrene held in place with AC glue.

Wear protective glasses when using a cut off wheel since they can shatter!

Greg

I'm looking for a razor saw to cut an electrical gap (to then be filled in with styrene or another insulating material) in a HO nickel-silver track rail.
I know nothing about the Zona brand saws. My manual saw is an Atlas track cutting saw. It looks very similar to the one you've shown by X-acto.

Like the others I really do most gap cutting with a Dremel tool; however, I do not use a cut-off disk. They are too thick and make too large of gaps. Plus they are too small around such that the gaps end up being at an angle rather than straight up and down. I got a larger 2" diameter, much thinner (as thin as the Atlas saw), diamond cutting disk. That way I make a smaller and perpendicular "gap". Of course with DCC, I don't need nearly as many gaps as the old days.

I found out yesterday that I purchased some off-brand cut off disks for my Dremel and one was a larger diameter and thicker than the Dremel and other smaller diameter and much thinner. Please don't ask me where I purchased them or what brand they are since I didn't keep their original containers.

I didn't know I had these disks.

Greg

Back