Full size passenger car step project

NYC_George

I started a new project today. I'm not tall enough to look into my helix so today I decided to solve the problem. I thought a passenger car step would be appropriate. I made up a cardboard mockup I'll build it tomorrow.

passenger_car_step.jpg

I think I changed my mind on the design. I kind of like the Eire step. Good chance to try out my new preval paint sprayer for the 1/4 inch plywood yellow sides. I already have some metal spray paint for the 1/2 inch plywood top. It will look almost like the real thing when I'm done.

erie_passenger_car_step.JPG

Very nice work, GEORGE!
What did you make the platform from?
YES - WE all should have grabbed those back in the day.
Wonder what happened to all of them?

Thanks Sir, Boris and Wheeler. I'm going to finish it tomorrow so I can finish my passenger car video which uses the helix. I can't film inside the helix with out something to stand on. I haven't decided on the body color yet maybe the Eire yellow or just the same color as the top.

George

Wonder what happened to all of them?

Sherrel: Being used as step stools, holding up planters, taking up space in land fills, and in museums and PV cars.

Yo George! How did you make the top? diamond plate? Bogus plastic imitation diamond plate? How??? I'm curious.

Boris

Yo George! How did you make the top? diamond plate? Bogus plastic imitation diamond plate? How??? I'm curious.

I went to home depot today for the purpose of finding something that looked like diamond plate. I seen a boot mat there that was the perfect width size for the project. I cut that to size then bought some 1/4 X 1/2 wood stripping for the edges and glued it all to a 15" X 15" piece of 1/2 plywood. I then painted it with nickel metal paint.

George

Glad you filled us in on the boot mat!
I am curious about the 1/4 plywood for the sides? I would have thought you would have used 1/2 - seems as if 1/4 would not be sturdy enough.
A pic of the underside at the corner of the sides would be appreciated?

Sirfoldalot I used 1/4 inch plywood for the sides because it easier to align, fit the 4 sides together. I plan on bracing that won't be visible.

I completed the inside bracing. The shoes not yet done will also add to the bracing. Now I need to cut out the handle holes and add any wood filler I may need. I'll sand everything down and I guess paint the body Erie yellow with black pin strips and lettering.

passenger_car_step_03_26_19_04_28_pm.jpg

LOL - They are not harder - it's just that we are older! (besides - nothing gets hard anymore - dammit)

I'm looking at your excellent work there and wondering why you were complaining about the picture frame?
That is some very good woodworking!

I'm looking at your excellent work there and wondering why you were complaining about the picture frame?
That is some very good woodworking!

Sir I complained about the picture frame because I thought I made very accurate cuts only to find out picture frames need perfect cuts. I never made a picture frame and didn't know this. I should have just filled in the 1/16 inch gap with wood filler. This project is going good so far. I'll paint it tomorrow and post the results.

George

Very nice project, thanks for sharing it! I think they had one of these at the Amtrack depot when we boarded it.

That was a few years ago. Dave

Great result, George. :) What are you going to use for the shoes?

Thanks Dave. I think the real ones have rubber shoes Boris but I already made 4 out of 3/8 inch plywood. I'll paint them black and glue them on in a few days. You'll see them when I do my passenger train video maybe next week.

George

Back