Friends of Bill W.

Congratulations on your accomplishment! I have/had two friends who I wish were able to go your route. It's too late for one though, he died early this month after spending the last six months of his life in a nursing home due to his life of heavy drinking.

I understand that sobriety is a life long journey and I wish you all the best on your journey! You have much to be proud of. And Merry Christmas, too!

Congratulations on your accomplishment! I have/had two friends who I wish were able to go your route. It's too late for one though, he died early this month after spending the last six months of his life in a nursing home due to his life of heavy drinking.

I understand that sobriety is a life long journey and I wish you all the best on your journey! You have much to be proud of. And Merry Christmas, too!
Thank you and Merry Christmas to you as well. And yes not everyone makes it, my dad died and angry drunk, i was lucky that i got to be sober raising my kids. Because of that we have a great relationship.

FWIW, addiction problems are usually the result of a lack of social connections. For those of us that tend to have less interest/ability to deal with people, it can quickly become a vicious cycle where one leads to the other.

Ultimately, it's unfortunate how many treatment programs out there are basically just scams to load up on as much insurance money as possible, even if the methods are more designed to get people to sign up rather than get clean and have no scientific basis.

I'm personally lucky, in that most days I'm not interested in drinking, but even the last few years, I'd have days where it was all I could do to keep myself from crawling into the nearest bottle. Ultimately, the only thing that works is one day at a time, one step at a time, and sometimes even less. It's unfortunate the way that people tend to cut their buddies out of their lives when they try to clean up.

Congratulations to all of you who have, or are in the process of defeating addiction, but......
THIS is a Model Railroading Forum.

When i got sober, i lost all of my friends. Me getting sober forced them to look at their drinking, and of course the wives get involved, and next thing you know it's crickets chirping in the background. lolol Regardless, i got sober for me, had i not done that, i would not be here today. I needed to clean house and get rid of all the old TOXIC people out of my life in order to move forward. I learned over time in AA that i wasnt there to make friends either, i saw how clicky the program can be. People are so desperate when they get there, that they will use you for whatever they can to keep their heads above water. I got a sponsor, started working the steps and forward i went. I also learned that i could not be friends with my sponsor either, the AA stopped working when that happened. I ended up with a sponsor who kicked my ass every step of the way, and would not cut me any slack working the steps.

I made new friends outside the program, And started back in the car hobby again, this time with less selfish pride and ego. Skip to today, i have a handful of close friends, people who are real friends, not after me for something.

Congratulations to all of you who have, or are in the process of defeating addiction, but......
THIS is a Model Railroading Forum.

Yes, it is. But it's also in the General Discussions Forum and I am totally fine with this discussion. Everyone has their struggles, and if a little encouragement or understanding helps a person, then I say go for it!

I tried repeatedly to quit smoking without any long term success. However, after asking family and friends to help me and also to hold me to account, I went to my doctor and got a prescription for the new nicotine patches. I was desperate to quit and I was determined to do whatever it took. I went all out, and with the patches and help of all involved, I successfully quit on 4/03/92. It wasn't easy, but with everyone's help, I made.

There is no doubt in my mind that decision to involve all I could, saved my life. I had turned into a heavy smoker and my days would be severely curtailed, were it not for my efforts and the help of everyone I involved. This could be a similar situation and I'm more than willing to possibly play a small part in helping a fellow modeler.

Back