Fresh C30-7s! (Lots of pics)

In model terms, I just got back the first photos from my new Blue Line C30-7s.
Forget that.
All we need to know is that I chased a train powered by freshly painted C30-7s! (And got some more fanning in along the way!)

I first found them just short of the crossing at Hicksville, waiting for a meet.
3073WEDGIE.jpg

After a suprisingly long wait (as far as I can tell from what I heard over the scanner, the brake check at the top of the hill took a LOT longer than expected) an intermodal breezed through the siding with 3 CP SD40s on the point.
Hicksvillemeet2.jpg

Hicksvillemeet.jpg

I drove ahead to Cottonwood Creek and set up in the bottom of the creek, waiting for the train to gind past.
3073smalltrestle.jpg

Now, I probably shouldn't be saying this, cause somebody will probably get in trouble...but the train was short with plenty of power, so the crew stopped in the middle of the steepest part of the grade to allow me to get 2 pics!
3073Redrock2.jpg

3073Redrock1.jpg

After that, a couple more trains came through and met at Virginia. First was a heavy train with lots of grain loads, warranting a pair of extra geeps to be used as pushers on the rear. They quickly cut off and ran down the hill, followed by an eastbound with a gorgeous trio of C-Liners.
Virginiameet.jpg

Virginiahelpers.jpg

I kept hearing a lot of action over the scanner, so I set up at the curve again for the eastbound and "CP 4248 West"
4248Redrock.jpg

4081redrock1.jpg

On my way back home, I caught an S-3 and a single boxcar in the yard.
6550crossing.jpg

Okay, I couldn't just leave it at that. It was another sunny day the next day, but there weren't nearly as many trains. The reason for this was that the C30-7s were being displayed at Hicksville station! First they needed to be worked back east, and I caught them at Virginia fairly early in the morning.
3074Virginia.jpg

They apparently dropped off those loads at the yard at Cornerville, allowing a freight and the morning commuter to make a VERY timely appearance at Hoodoo Junction (Formerly the point where a branch line diverged from the main, but no longer)
hoodoooverlap.jpg

That's when I heard 4081 over the scanner again, and I couldn't believe my luck! I walked up the small hill that overlooks the junction to wait for it.
4081Hoodoo.jpg

I thought that after that, they would display the GEs at Hicksville, and I was absolutely right.
LSIatHicksville.jpg

The pair of SD40-2s on the left is the dedicated helper set for the hill, but apparently they were on another train when the all-MLW consist came through.

...A successful day, though I wish they could scan my slide film better! (Ah, what I would have given for digital in those days!)

Very nice indeed! Those bluelines are nice! I got me one before Turkey day, a SD7 UP #776 and I love it!

C30-7's and C-Liners - what a combination.:) Very nice models and photography indeed. The finished section of the scenery is very convincing. The only thing you'd better do is fix that streetlight in the picture with the S-3 or you're going to have a lawsuit on your hands when that motorist gets crushed. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I have to ask... I know those C30-7's and the U30C's that LS&I own, are pulling WAY more weight then that train ever could have been, how steep is the grade?
;)

I have to admit, I tried to straighten it before the photo, but just couldn't resist a photo at that crossing! Have to admit, this time I was more going for angles than a layout showcase, so I'm glad people still like it.
Josh....not for long ;) And you replied as I was posting, you're such a smeghead! It's a steep grade, though....2.6% uncompensated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoyed the photos. You have a very nice layout. I like the photo with the wrecked steam loco laying in the gorge, nice touch. Potsie

Back