Freight Car Kit Or Scratch Build Contest.

I am not having any problems uploading photos. I experimented around a bit and found that the photos have to be less than 2MB resolution in size. I personally use Microsoft "Picture Manager" (included with Microsoft Office) to edit. I know that there are others available. For examples, go look at my posts in the Coffee Shop made this morning, as I don't want to hijack the scratchbuild thread. Ian suggested "Paint", but that only seems to change the size without changing the resolution MB's. The pixel size of 3264 X 2448 that you posted yesterday does not seem to matter. With Microsoft "Photo Viewer", it automatically reduces pictures if you E-Mail them (to yourself if needed), but I haven't figured out how to reduce the resolution to save them.
On my Kodak camera, I have a setting that automatically uses a resolution size between 500KB and 800KB which works. It is the second highest setting, the highest is 2.4MB and greater. I have a Canon camera that takes everything at the highest resolution that I have to reduce for posting on the forum. It's new and I just haven't taken the time to read how to change it.
Hope that this helps.

Willie

I have lost interest in trying to figure out how to reduce picture sizes so I can post them to this website. With the two photo software programs I have on this computer, there are no links to performing this process that I can see. I'm sure the process is really simple to do, it's just how to do it, escapes me! As I get older, I'm finding trying to keep up with the constant change in computer technology is passing me by like it is at light speed, where as I am walking at a slower pace every year.

So the contest will end on October 31st, 2017 with what photos of kit built; or, scratch built freight or passenger cars that have been posted or can be posted by those able to post new photos. Good luck to all!

I am still having problems uploading some photos from my phone. I reduced the size of the photo to below the allowable 3000x3000 and managed t post one photo, but others would not post. Frustrating being that I have had no problems at all posting for the years I have been on the forum.

Here are the photos of the give-away:

Attachments

• HPIM7734-sm25.jpg
    HPIM7734-sm25.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 187
  • HPIM7735-sm25.jpg
    HPIM7735-sm25.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 173
I have lost interest in trying to figure out how to reduce picture sizes so I can post them to this website. With the two photo software programs I have on this computer, there are no links to performing this process that I can see. I'm sure the process is really simple to do, it's just how to do it, escapes me! As I get older, I'm finding trying to keep up with the constant change in computer technology is passing me by like it is at light speed, where as I am walking at a slower pace every year.

So the contest will end on October 31st, 2017 with what photos of kit built; or, scratch built freight or passenger cars that have been posted or can be posted by those able to post new photos. Good luck to all!
Sorry, Mark, I just now saw your post to me. I have temporarily more or less given up on putting photos on the form -still trying to find what works -- strange that I never had any problem up until "upgrades" were made to the forum. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the lighting speed at which technology is changing. I hate it! XP was working just fine for me - I have been f**ked up ever since!

I am still having problems uploading some photos from my phone. I reduced the size of the photo to below the allowable 3000x3000 and managed t post one photo, but others would not post. Frustrating being that I have had no problems at all posting for the years I have been on the forum.

Same here, CHET, I agree with everything you said.

Thanks Ianacole for posting the photos I could not seem to get to work!

I have asked ModelBob to see if he can help and what was changed that is causing the problem.

Here is something I did not think about. What if someone who models in a different scale than HO wins the contest? They likely will be less than interested in an HO Model Kit! Any opinions on what should be done?

I got the following note from ModelBob about the changes that effect up-loading photos to the website:

"It was changed during the recent issues with the Google safe website warning. The external script used was identified as a potential method of injecting a security risk. At this time, I haven't decided if we'll be re-activating it or not. I want to be certain the google warnings are completely resolved before making any changes".

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we allowed more than ONE entry?

Here's an HO one from the 60's!
Ulrich "cars from the roaring 20's"

Frisco OB Ulrich Box.jpg

SLSF #126043 SS Box.jpg

Correction: The second photo is "O Scale"!

Here's an old Silver Streak box car that was built over 25 years ago. Sure wish they were still available.

20171016_182518.jpg

Chet, The old Silver Streak line of wood kits is still available from Ye Old Huff and Puff. In fact they show your exact same GN car as being available, #52069!

I still have two of them I recently found in my stash that I didn't know that I still had. They are some nice kits.

Chet, The old Silver Streak line of wood kits is still available from Ye Old Huff and Puff. In fact they show your exact same GN car as being available, #52069!

Unfortunately their home page indicates they're closed until further notice :(

You are correct, I did not see that when I looked just previously! With Chet having a couple more kits in his larder, I think he should maybe build those before buying more.

Chet: Great looking box car model by Silver Streak!

The hand rails, stirrups and ribbed body details makes the model stand out. And, then the weathering adds the realism of a well traveled piece of rolling stock.

Great model.

Greg

CP Rail bulkhead flatcar. Old Proto 2000 52' flatcar kit, stripped paint, new floor from scribed styrene, scratchbuilt bulkheads and custom painted.

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

CP de-roofed boxcar for woodchip service. Intermountain 40' PS-1 kit with the roof left out, hinged doors scratchbuilt in styrene, scribed styrene false floor to hide sheet lead weight (obviously not visible from this angle) and roof ribs added in using Plastruct T-shaped structural shapes. The roof panels were just torched off on the prototypes, and these give the impression of the original roof ribs that were left behind to hold the car sides together.

IMG_1093.jpg

Chris, wonderful work! Obviously photo resizing doesn't give you any problems. I think both of these cars are absolutely outstanding!

Back