Free-mo Module Track Plan

macjet

Attached is a PDF document showing my 2'X 18' Free-mo module. This module is to be built in three 6' sections.

The purpose of this module is to allow unloading of the grain facility in unit trains consisting of 12 cars each. Each unit is to be worked by up to two GP units.

A secondary purpose is to allow for mainline passing. The siding is 160" long on the straight track. This will allow up to 18 7.5" cars such as the Walthers bethgon and two SD90/Dash 8 (10.5") class locomotives.

Mainline turnouts are Peco #6 and others are Peco #5.

I'm looking for other sets of eyes to try and find problems.

Thanks.

Looks great to me. It looks like that tail track on page 2 may be too short to do you much good but it also looks like there's not any space to add length. Other than that, I'd say go ahead and start laying some track. :)

The tail on page two (or the far east end of the north siding if up is north) is there to provide room for the head of east bound trains coming off the main (center track). This will allow the rear of a east bound train to clear the trailing point switch without blocking the main on the far east side. The cars then can be backed into the two track yard (six cars each track) and then the cars can be loaded six at a time. The grain loading chute will be located near that yard turnout.

I've also got room for a west bound train to enter the north siding and drop the cars between the facing and trailing points in order to runaround and push the train into the yard. If the train length exceeded 96" then the train could be pulled past the yard turnout, runaround, and then backed into the spur to clear the yard points.

I don't think I see any operational issues but as stated before the more eyes the better before track starts going down.

Thanks for the input.

I think it looks good. I should do some of this free mo stuff instead of trying to fit in a layout.

It took me a year and two started layouts in my garage to come to this conclusion. I just don't have the room to build a permanent layout. The Free-mo system will allow for a temporary set up in my garage as desired and the ability to run with a larger group. Done right, someday I'll be able to incorporate the module into a permanent layout when I have the space.

I've got a small group in Ft. Worth committed to building and I've received support from and interest in setting up together from Oklahoma Free-mo.

Ah, OK, I wasn't understanding that track before you explained it. Looks like you've done a good job of handling both facing and trailing points switches without getting the engines stuck. Time to get some lumber!

Back