Fox Valley SD70 ACe decoder?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
I am seriously thinking about buying a Fox Valley SD70ACe DCC Ready engine and install a DCC decoder. The site that I am buying it from recommends a few DCC Decoders including a TCS EUN651 Decoder for Fox Valley models. Before I buy anything now I always check with a site called Spookshow.net first, and there lies the conundrum for me.

This is the TCS EUN651 decoder the site recommended for Fox Valley engines:

BgX3kZZ.jpg

This is the SD70ACe with decoder installed from Spookshow:

8DnDBRl.jpg

I think the reason for my confusion should be obvious. I am assuming that both versions are drop in or plug in so either should be easy to install. I just need to know that I am buying the "right decoder" for this particular engine.

I looked at the Fox Valley site and it seems this is a discontinued model as it does not appear anywhere that I could see, I also looked at the TCS site for the EUN651 and did not see where the Fox Valley SD70ACe was mentioned, just a generic suitable for Fox Valley engines. When clicking on the installation info at TCS, they use a GEVO engine as the example for the install of the EUN 651.

If you like TCS, you should be good.
If you are going to MU the engine with units that have sound, such as Soundtraxx or ESU, it would make your life easier to install a silent decoder from one of those companies, for ease of consisting.

Terry,

Nope, no sound just DCC. I do like TCS so will stick with them. It turns out, after a bit more research, that the TCS shown above is the correct decoder, so that is what I will run with so to speak. From all accounts, it simply plugs in to a pre wired "plug".

Terry,

Nope, no sound just DCC. I do like TCS so will stick with them. It turns out, after a bit more research, that the TCS shown above is the correct decoder, so that is what I will run with so to speak. From all accounts, it simply plugs in to a pre wired "plug".
If it's like the other FVM engines I've seen, the plug is under the main circuit board under the rear headlight.

Back