Forum Software Vote

What forum software would you like to see the forum use?

• Move to Invision Community / IPBB [url]https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As much as I'd prefer it, "free" is not an option for this website. I need customer support and I need to be able to run adds to try and soften the cost of leasing a server. Anything that's free is either going to be lacking in customer service and/or have it's own ads to generate revenue. Yes, I'm aware that there are some "open source" projects out there, and they can be really good stuff. However, I need someplace where I can submit a trouble ticket and say "Hey, the new post notifications aren't working, how do I fix that?" That means paying for the software so they can pay those people.
Yes, I was pretty sure that was the case, but I thought I's mention it.

Is vB5 worth another look? My comments are based on experience that is years old. Surely by now it should have improved and also they should have retained the features we're more used to. That it still exists, must be a good sign.

No, it's not. Even though that choice is going to cost me hundreds of dollars. My current license for 4 forums includes VB5. I have been holding off making this change for years hoping they'd get their shit together. It hasn't happened and there is no indication that it ever will. Also, even if I did upgrade to VB5, doing so breaks the photo gallery, which is also no longer supported. No, as I said previously, I'm running what amounts to Windows 98. Time to get current again.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vb...net-brands-have-killed-off-vbulletin.1855705/

As long as it works with modern Microsoft operating systems, and will, into the future, I'm happy.

The forum, no matter which one I choose, will not be specific to any operating system. Just as in this forum, there will not be any app, it will be web based. (Not even an app on the phone, we'll be getting rid of Tap-a-talk as it will scale to your mobile device.) All you'll need is a standards compliant browser. Windows, Mac, iOS, Android. Desktop, tablet, phone, heck, even a smart TV. If they can browse the web, they'll work.

XenForo does seem to have a good (active and current) community. They also seem to have put some thought and effort into helping you (the poor admin) stay ahead of the bad guys. Finally, they seem to have a pretty robust add on community. It doesn't look like it would be a bad choice.

No, it's not. Even though that choice is going to cost me hundreds of dollars. My current license for 4 forums includes VB5. I have been holding off making this change for years hoping they'd get their shit together. It hasn't happened and there is no indication that it ever will. Also, even if I did upgrade to VB5, doing so breaks the photo gallery, which is also no longer supported. No, as I said previously, I'm running what amounts to Windows 98. Time to get current again.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vb...net-brands-have-killed-off-vbulletin.1855705/
Unless the cost is outrageous, you can be pretty sure I'll stick with you.
The forum, no matter which one I choose, will not be specific to any operating system. Just as in this forum, there will not be any app, it will be web based. (Not even an app on the phone, we'll be getting rid of Tap-a-talk as it will scale to your mobile device.) All you'll need is a standards compliant browser. Windows, Mac, iOS, Android. Desktop, tablet, phone, heck, even a smart TV. If they can browse the web, they'll work.
Now I have an excuse to learn how to use my smart TVs!
I have no knowledge of the various softwares for Forums.
same here

Your link to avforums certainly explains why vB5 is out of contention.

Yes it does. At one time they were the best there was. I've spent thousands on them over the years. I have a lot of customization and edits wrapped up here. The gallery, the front page (thank goodness I didn't invest a huge amount of time in the content creation side, that would all have been lost.) I was one of their strongest supporters, I think I owned 8 licenses at one point. Now I'd sell you my license for $5, but they don't allow that any more.

For those of you who don't have time to read the link, this sums it up nicely. BTW, that was written 2014, so the "matter of time before it becomes obsolete" has long since passed.

"you must see the writing on the wall.
a> VBulletin 4 is no longer developed. It's a matter of time before it becomes too obsolete.
b> VBulletin 5 is a failed software. The current market share of VB5 is about half a percent.
Hence it is only a matter of time before VBulletin completely dies or at least becomes too insignificant to consider any investment by a third party wishing to start a product around VBulletin."

Last edited by a moderator:
Initial testing is going well, and it looks like I will finally have a Xenforo photo gallery that I can whip into shape to my liking. If things go as planned, we'll be migrating in a couple of weeks.

Unless the cost is outrageous, you can be pretty sure I'll stick with you.

Well, I am afraid that we're going to have to double the current membership rates to pay for all this.

Anyone got a calculator handy? What's 2 x 0?

Joking aside, the forum is, and will remain, totally free. I do not feel that a paid membership would be sustainable, and if there aren't enough members, the place would soon die from lack of activity. I am, however, hoping the improved forum will result in increased traffic and a potential increase in ad revenue.

XenForo does seem to have a good (active and current) community.

I'm currently working through the Media Gallery part, trying to get it as close to the Photopost layout as I can (I like that look and feel.). I posted 3 or 4 questions today, and I've already gotten answers back explaining how to do what I want to do. So far I'm happy with the service.

I've closed the poll, so you can no longer vote. (The discussion can continue though).

The winner is Xenforo, and it's also the one I have chosen. I have a test forum I've used it on in the past, and I'm currently upgrading it and testing it there. Once that's done, I will run some tests and make the final decision. However, unless a deal-breaker emerges, we'll be going with Xenforo. It has a nice balance of price and features as well as being close to what we're running now.

Also, all indications are that I can import both the discussions AND the gallery, so there shouldn't be much lost content.

Bob, When the change happens will the current threads and all past thread history be brought forward?

Well, I am afraid that we're going to have to double the current membership rates to pay for all this.

Anyone got a calculator handy? What's 2 x 0?

Joking aside, the forum is, and will remain, totally free. I do not feel that a paid membership would be sustainable, and if there aren't enough members, the place would soon die from lack of activity. I am, however, hoping the improved forum will result in increased traffic and a potential increase in ad revenue.

I'll do my best to promote it as I participate on other forums as well,...reference links, etc (particularly if one can make a direct link to a particular posting.

Bob, When the change happens will the current threads and all past thread history be brought forward?

Good news! I will be able to migrate messages and photos from the old forum software. So we won't have to start over.

As for "all past thread history"? I will be doing some aggressive pruning before the move. We currently have nearly 500K posts. I'm looking to reduce that significantly. The migration would take many days, and nobody is reading 1/2 million old messages.

Maybe you could archive the old stuff, in case somebody is feeling nostalgic. Of course, if it's going to cost $$$ just to do that, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Everything you store on a server costs time and money. I will be keeping a lot of it. But there's plenty of fluff as well that nobody will miss. Things like threads where the pictures are gone for example. "Here's a photo of my layout" with a broken image icon isn't much use to anyone.

Everything you store on a server costs time and money. I will be keeping a lot of it. But there's plenty of fluff as well that nobody will miss. Things like threads where the pictures are gone for example. "Here's a photo of my layout" with a broken image icon isn't much use to anyone.

Are you saying Photobucket did you a favor :rolleyes:

So, when is the change going to happen? Do we need to be aware of it; or, will it just happen?

Back