Forum Software Vote

What forum software would you like to see the forum use?

• Move to Invision Community / IPBB [url]https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am not familiar enough with forum softwares to make an educated choice. I did like the look of "phpbb" and I voted for it. If it works for you, then it should work for me. As long as it works on Firefox and Win7, I am good to go. I also like the autosave feature here.

Willie

We'll shoot I just voted but really shouldn't have as I know nothing about the topic.
Come to think of it that's how we wound up with the latest leader of our country, hmmm.
This is the only forum I call home so can't compare anything else.
I too don't do Facebook and sounded the alarm years ago on that mind trap.

Photo hosting and size of photos

There is another boating forum that I participated in that from long ago and made a limit on the size photo you could post. It was something like 700 pixels wide. So someone had to learn to simply edit there photo to a smaller size to post it on the forum,...very simple to do,...and did not require the host site to do it for them,....and likely cut down on the host's requirements for memory size.

Yachtforums.com

...also this discussion http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/evolution-of-the-internet.27640/page-2#post-258355
( some interesting observations about Facebook here).
Personally I would STOP participating in anything that changed over to Facebook. I don't trust them in the long run,..not necessarily themselves, but how that data people post could come back to haunt them.

As i have mentioned before, the other boat design site I like to use (and i like their software that runs it),....Boatdesign.net

When I was making the links for Yachtforums, I saw this posting,..had not seen it before,...
DELETE Facebook!

Elon Musk has deleted the Facebook pages for Tesla and SpaceX. Following in his footsteps, we have deleted the Facebook pages for YachtForums and JetForums. We hope others follow suit. This social media platform is...

Collecting metadata of your cellular calls and every text message you receive or send!
Mining and selling your personal information without your permission!
Micro-targeting you based on browsing interests to subliminally sway your opinion.
Requesting you to send naked pictures of yourself under the guise of protecting you!
Assigning employees to help other nations influence the democratic process.

Think about this, one day your browsing interests or posts could be used to deny healthcare, employment or acceptance into communities or schools...

A little today I'll make a list of some of the features i like about a forum software

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you know about the "free" forums from Proboards.
It seems to work pretty well, but there is a relatively low limit to images and other files there. You would have to pony up money every time the forum ran out of storage space, or you would have to insist on outside image hosting (and we all know how that went with Photobomb).
The first 30 days are free, then you start getting pecked to death by ducks...

For me this is a hard question to answer as I am not at all familiar with any of these.

For me facebook is not an option, especially now with what's going on with facebook. Have no use at all for it. I did join briefly to follow a couple of NASCAR drivers, but bailed when they went public.

I am a member of a few model railroad forums as well as a few automobile/classic car forums. Some are extremely hard if not impossible to post photos on. Over the years I have found that this is probably the most user friendly forum.

Going through the list that the link provided, the NodeBB had a lot of positive recommendations ,but did mention that installation was complicated.

I am hoping that what ever the choice is that the board of directors choose, that it is as user friendly as what we now have. Perhaps just an upgrade or a new system is beyond my comprehension.

I glanced at each link, and I think I can adjust to any of them. I had no trouble opening any of them.

It would be good if existing posts are preserved and in the same order.

Good to see Facebook page has no votes. I would prefer other options instead of FB.

Bob .... Thanks for providing the forum and thanks for allowing comments here.

I voted for Xenforo. Pretty decent, with a "What's New" link to allow me to get to all the newly updated threads since my last sign-in.

OK, I've got some good news. It -appears- that I can migrate both the forum content (pretty certain) as well as the photo gallery (looks good, but need confirmation) if I migrate to Xenforo. So we won't have to start from scratch.

That is a very strong point in its favor, so unless there's a deal breaker someplace, we'll be going with Xenforo.

a "What's New" link to allow me to get to all the newly updated threads since my last sign-in.

That is a deal maker/breaker. Any program I go with WILL Have that feature. If it does not, it's not a contender. Fortunately, it looks like Xenforo has it.

I'm sure you know about the "free" forums from Proboards.

As much as I'd prefer it, "free" is not an option for this website. I need customer support and I need to be able to run adds to try and soften the cost of leasing a server. Anything that's free is either going to be lacking in customer service and/or have it's own ads to generate revenue. Yes, I'm aware that there are some "open source" projects out there, and they can be really good stuff. However, I need someplace where I can submit a trouble ticket and say "Hey, the new post notifications aren't working, how do I fix that?" That means paying for the software so they can pay those people.

Innovision Power Board was a strong contender, but they seem to be moving to a subscription based concept.

If we reached 200 concurrent users (not out of the question by any means), it would cost $130 per month. That's not bad, until you remember that I need two forums. Now it's $260, with even higher rates if traffic increases. I'm paying more than that now, but I also have several other forums online as well as my links directories and bookstore. All in all, it would be an increase, and the more traffic we got the more costs would increase. So not a good option.

https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

Bob -- If you do decide to go that way, I am sure that "Charlie"- admin for us at Frisco.org would be glad to aswer any of your questions.
He lives up in Maine - send me a PM if you would like his phone or email??

The Frisco site also has a volunteer contribution button- I sort of wish you would add one?

P.S. ALL prior posts, links, photos were NOT lost!

Couple of other features I want in a forum, and this one has it.
1) Notification by email when someone makes a new posting on a subject thread that I have contributed to. MRH does NOT have this feature, and I think it hurts them. i don't want to have to research thru the site to see if anyone added to the ongoing conversation.

2) I like to be able to add a reference link DIRECTLY to a Particular posting,...in other words number the postings and/or be able to link directly to a posting. MRH does not have this feature and it a pain in the ___ to formulate a reply to a particular posting. Model Railroader Mag forum also does not have that feature.

3) Being able to add QUOTES easily is a good feature to help with understand what one is making reference to. Again MRH is more difficult to do.

4) I think I would consider limiting the size of photos in general as they can be BIG space hogs. If the poster wants to reference photos that is GREAT, but put the onus on them to make it a reasonable size. It forced me to download some free and easy to use software (Irfanview) to be able to post on some forums.

I'm sure there are a few more items I have forgotten to mention,....age/memory thing....ha...ha

I'm really amazed at the number of votes that Vbulletin 5 has gotten, considering all the negative experiences that have been documented about it!:confused:

I wish I would have waited before I chose "other", then I'd have voted for Xenforo.

I'm really amazed at the number of votes that Vbulletin 5 has gotten, considering all the negative experiences that have been documented about it!:confused:

I wish I would have waited before I chose "other", then I'd have voted for Xenforo.

Suspect some people don't like change and others don't know about all of the bad reviews.

As for Xenforo, it's almost certainly going to be the choice. I've got an old test forum I've been running it on for a couple years, and I'm experimenting there right now. I like it so far, but have to get the photo gallery whipped into shape.

Bob, I have no experience as a systems administrator with forum software. As long as it works with modern Microsoft operating systems, and will, into the future, I'm happy. I'm also a member of railroadline forum, but it takes more effort there to upload pictures than what you've been using here. I've been a member here since 2011, and lurked a while before that, and hope this effort continues into the future. Choosing something you're familiar with, isn't too hard to learn, and won't cost you too much, gets my vote. Hope this helps.

Carl

Is vB5 worth another look? My comments are based on experience that is years old. Surely by now it should have improved and also they should have retained the features we're more used to. That it still exists, must be a good sign.

Back