Forum Software Vote

What forum software would you like to see the forum use?

• Move to Invision Community / IPBB [url]https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think the top features to look at from a user point of view would be the photos post directly in message and not from 3rd party site. I hate when I review old post and can't see photos because of things like Photobucket.

The ability to see new post and threads since last visit or other filters user can select.

Security of data and most importantly the ease of work for the admins. I work in IT so I know how much it takes to work on a site like this and keep it working for users. Thank you for all you do and please be sure to select what is best for admins as well.

Dave

So, when is the change going to happen? Do we need to be aware of it; or, will it just happen?

I'll announce it before I make the change over. The data all has to be imported, and the database cannot be running while that happens. The photography website took 18 hours. This site is much larger, so it could take up to a few days to get it all moved over.

You won't have to do anything different. Your user name will be the same and your password will still work. The place will look a bit different, but close enough that you'll have very little trouble figuring out how it works.

Right now, we're in a hold for a couple reasons. I'm going to prune some old messages here to get the message count down, and I'm running the two forums i have switched for a couple of weeks to be fine tune and work out all of the bugs. For example, this morning we figured out that non-members couldn't view large images when they click on the thumbnails. It was an easy fix, but it's little things like that that I'm looking to get worked out ahead of time.

If you're not already a member of RailroadForums.com, you might consider joining. I will likely post updates on that site as well as answer any questions you might have and troubleshoot any log-in issues etc. (Don't worry, forgotten passwords are easily reset by an automated form, so don't panic if you can't recall yours)

The upgrades have now been completed. The winning choice was Xenforo for several reasons. Cost was a factor, some boards were simply priced out of reach (I'm looking at you IPB). The availability of a photo gallery was also a major factor, and the Xenforo Media Gallery looks good and it's tightly integrated into the forum. The last, and probably biggest factor, was the ability to import both photos and discussions to the new software. As far as i can tell, everything migrated over and the new place looks great!

Back