Forum Software Upgrade Completed

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Railroadforums.com (NOT ModelRailroadForums.com, but it's next, probably next weekend) is currently being migrated to the new forum software.

Since that forum has less activity, it's being upgraded first. Once it's done, we'll upgrade this forum, probably next weekend.

I've created this topic for updates on the upgrade process.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Step 1, Software installation and validation has been completed.

Now we move on to Database Migration.... Hope you packed a lunch, this will take a while.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Things may be a bit slower than normal during this process. I'm currently showing a server load of 97. I had no idea it even went that high!

Scotty, we need more power!

bob

Administrator
Staff member
The forum database has been copied, now we're migrating the photo gallery database. The forum went faster than anticipated, hoping this one does too.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so it looks like this step will take about three hours to complete, give or take.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we've run into a snag. Not surprising on a project this large. 33% of the way in on the image import for the photo gallery, we hit a corrupt image that caused the whole process to hang. Step 1, figure out WHICH image. OK, 1/2 hour later, I think I found it. (fingers crossed). Of course there's no way to tell the importer to pick up where it left of, so delete the database and start over. UGH! Oh, and with 2/3rd of the gallery to go, and thousands more images to process, the smart money says that we may find more than one broken image. This could take a while.

bnsf971

AKA Gomez Addams
Staff member
Well, we've run into a snag. Not surprising on a project this large. 33% of the way in on the image import for the photo gallery, we hit a corrupt image that caused the whole process to hang. Step 1, figure out WHICH image. OK, 1/2 hour later, I think I found it. (fingers crossed). Of course there's no way to tell the importer to pick up where it left of, so delete the database and start over. UGH! Oh, and with 2/3rd of the gallery to go, and thousands more images to process, the smart money says that we may find more than one broken image. This could take a while.
That's why you started on a Friday evening, right? So you could take the entire weekend to do this? Instead of your normal life/weekend?

bob

Administrator
Staff member
That's why you started on a Friday evening, right? So you could take the entire weekend to do this? Instead of your normal life/weekend?
Actually, that is exactly the reason. However, unknown to me, somebody drove over a switch stand and broke it. The switch serves an oil refinery. They have a unit oil train on the way. So my Friday night got interrupted by that as well.

Meanwhile, we're back for round 3... Second bogus image located and deleted. Database deleted and we start from the beginning... again... (I will have nightmares of the last one being at 99.98% complete. Assuming I get any sleep...)

bnsf971

AKA Gomez Addams
Staff member
No, it was a full blown switch stand. The best guess is that it was semi leaving the adjacent driveway. He probably has some nasty battle scars. Broke the handle right off.
Yes, I know what my pickup would look like if I mowed one down--and I wouldn't be driving it away, either.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
[FONT=&amp] Imported 41,310 items. (7 hours 41 minutes 14.25 seconds)

I swear the last 1% took an hour. It kept pausing and I kept going "NO! Not now!" but it finally completed.

That's after two false starts due to corrupt images. So total duration was about 14 hours.

I also saw server load ratings of 143 at times. I didn't even know that was possible. Not sure if flames were coming out of the fans or not... Apparently Scotty gave me all had and then some.

On to the next step... [/FONT]

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Now that the images are migrated, we're importing comments and tags. The Media side of things seems to import far more slowly. I think it has to do with having to access two databases, the old photo gallery and the old forum. In any case, it's a slow process for sure!

bnsf971

AKA Gomez Addams
Staff member
Now that the images are migrated, we're importing comments and tags. The Media side of things seems to import far more slowly. I think it has to do with having to access two databases, the old photo gallery and the old forum. In any case, it's a slow process for sure!
Media tends to be more data-intensive, as well. It takes longer to migrate videos than straight text just because of bandwidth and processor limitations.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
The media is done, that was the 7 hour marathon. This is pure text, comments and image tags. But it has to connect each with a member (Vb) and an image (pp), via the new database, so it’s data intensive.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
At 36% on the image tags. It's stupid slow, but it's a one time process so I guess we just wait it out.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com