? for the Canadian steam experts

josephbw

I was watching a video of the restoration of the CN 2816 4-6-4 tonight. In one shot they had the engineer at the throttle and right in front of him was a round object that looked similar to a small trailer wheel. Is that the throttle, or what does it do? It was about 12" in dia., and maybe 5-6 inches deep, and painted grey.

Here is a link to the interior of the cab. The grey round thing is what I'm talking about. Thanks, Joe

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/C.P.R._2816_Hudson_Class_%282807877718%29.jpg/1024px-C.P.R._2816_Hudson_Class_%282807877718%29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Steering wheel?
Okay I had to say that before Toot did!
Actually I think that's the screw actuated reverser but I'll let a steam guy give you a better answer.

From what I could find on the web, I would say that Rico has a very good chance of being right. And he definitely got one up on Toot! Not an easy task, I might add!

Thanks guys. After looking at the photo I posted more closely, I found the throttle but couldn't find the reverse lever, so I thought that might be what it was. But it's nice to have confirmation. Is it gear driven on the other end?

Take care, Joe

Back