Foam Fumes

SunsetLimited

Enjoy the Journey
Hi everyone,

I started cutting some Extruded Foam Insulation boards yesterday with a hot wire cutter. It's the first time I've ever used this foam material, or this tool.

The smell was horrendous.

It got me wondering. How bad are the fumes produced from cutting Extruded Foam Board with a hot wire cutter? Is it particularly dangerous? What experiences have you guys had with this?

Mitch

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine its pretty toxic to breath in the fumes. I always use good ventilation when I use my hot wire cutter. Its in the basement, so point a fan to vent it out the window. I sometimes glue the basic shape together before installing it and cut it outside then fine tune it inside where cutting is minimal.

I'd avoid directly inhaling the fumes and smoke. Unless you're building a scale replica of the Rocky Mountains, you should be okay, as far as using the cutter.

the respirator is a must when indoor foam cutting with a hot wire. Just my thoughts after I got my first smell of that when I first cut foam.

Dave

Reactions: bob
Hi everyone,

I started cutting some Extruded Foam Insulation boards yesterday with a hot wire cutter. It's the first time I've ever used this foam material, or this tool.

The smell was horrendous.

It got me wondering. How bad are the fumes produced from cutting Extruded Foam Board with a hot wire cutter? Is it particularly dangerous? What experiences have you guys had with this?

Mitch

Hi Mitch:

Your concerns about heat-cutting of foam are well-founded, especially if it's POLYURETHANE, which is made from chemicals known as isocyanates. Unpolymerized isocyanates are very toxic and can cause severe respiratory reactions in susceptible persons. Application of high heat/burning of the polymerized chemical releases toxins including HYDROGEN CYANIDE and CARBON MONOXIDE.

In short, I would NOT DO THIS, especially indoors or without really good ventilation. Please look at the relevant OSHA bulletin.

Jim

Those chemicals can singe your lunges causing permenant damage to the membrane that exchanges good air molecules with your exhaled breath.
Your first sensation of trouble is the leathery feeling of your air pipes.

Back