Fly Swatter static grass applicator voltage

iggy809

Anyone know how much voltage a Harbor Freight fly swatter can handle. I would like to increase the 3 volts for more performance.

I would say the only way you're going to find out for reasonably sure, is to connect one to a variable voltage controller i.e. a DC 12V, with a voltage meter inline, and increase the voltage till you burn it out. Do it with a few and take an average, or the lowest as the Max. Assemble or get a battery pack to match. Can't imagine there's been a large number of people who've tried. Maybe even leave the DC controller attached so you can choose voltages to suit whatever you're doing.

Wouldn't hat you have be set to the maximum capability at the factory? I'd be concerned about burning it out by trying to get more "power" out of it.

Anyone know how much voltage a Harbor Freight fly swatter can handle. I would like to increase the 3 volts for more performance.
Well, I personally would just attempt to take it up to 4.5V and see what happens. If it burns it out, that is only a $3 experiment right?

Toot'n,

Thanks but how does a "Bug Killer" act as a Grass Applicator? What do you do, turn it on and "wave it" over your ground cover?

Thanks but how does a "Bug Killer" act as a Grass Applicator? What do you do, turn it on and "wave it" over your ground cover?
Ha he ha, that would be nice. But first, yes, they go "on sale" at Harbor Freight for $2.99 all the time. Then No, one has to remove the two wire fly swatter meshes and replace them with something like a metal tea strainer. This is an old trick for building a static applicator, but Harbor Freight has made it affordable to everyone. As so - https://www.thespruce.com/build-grass-applicator-model-train-scenery-2381741

Last edited by a moderator:
Horseman,

Grief - more electronical confusion, frustration and anxiety :confused: Oh well, yu gotta die of sumthin' right :D

Looked at the link and well, that doesn't sound too hard...maybe:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can vouch for these. I built one and the hardest part was finding a suitable container to use on the "business" end. I didn't want to use an all-metal strainer because if I accidentally touch it I could get zapped, so I ended up using a plastic container with the lid cut out and mesh epoxied in.

I can vouch for these. I built one and the hardest part was finding a suitable container to use on the "business" end. I didn't want to use an all-metal strainer because if I accidentally touch it I could get zapped, so I ended up using a plastic container with the lid cut out and mesh epoxied in.
OH, maybe another use for the liquid electrical tape we are talking about in the other thread. Zap preventer.

Back