First try with JMRI and Digitrax

Nucular

Today I finally got my "PR3XTRA SoundFX USB Decoder Programmer". Now I did not feel like purchasing a brand new touch screen computer to try this out with as I had my doubts if I could get it to work. Anyhow I had an old Acer Netbook laying around that I got from 2009. It came with Windows XP but years ago I installed Ubuntu Linux on it, and because I hate the Unity interface I ended up putting the Xubuntu desktop over the Ubuntu desktop. (Great thing about Linux is that it is 100% customizable and free.) I next downloaded JMRI for Linux. Installation was a snap as all that was required was dragging and dropping the folder within the download to the desktop. (I first did download a Windows version to just see what the software was like a few days ago, and that was surprisingly more involved. The Linux version had none of those screens that you have to keep hitting next on, and I did not need to install Java like I did on Windows 7.) From there I connected the cables, turned the units on and just told the software what I was using. Within seconds my trains were on the run, and while my netbook has a small screen, I had 2 throttles open in front of me with all of the function keys.

So far I can only speak highly of it. The JMRI software even allows you add engines to a roster for an even faster selecting of your engine. And with Linux even with my 5 year old netbook, run and processing time was very fast. It did take me a second to figure out why my train would go for a short while and then just randomly stop. Figured out that it was being caused by having another throttle (the old style) set to a particular DCC address, resulting in a conflict of controls as two throttles were trying to control the same engine.

So my next step is to now purchase a better computer with a touch screen and clear off my Digitrax set up with the extra throttles on the jump-ports as all I need is a command base for the computer to work through so I program my turnouts and other locomotive decoders. Since I had so much luck with Linux, I hope to find a touchscreen all in one Linux machine, otherwise I will go with Windows, but Linux is cheaper and no one but me knows how to use it, which keeps others from wanting to steal it or use it. :)

and just wait until you try to use JMRI to run a signal system. You will come to understand what Tourette's Syndrom is.

I never change the default CV values in my decoders except for the loco number, and that can still be done at my Digitrax Zephyr Command Center (DCS51). Same goes with the CV values if I really wanted to change them. What I am modeling and the time frame excludes the usage of a signal system.

I am going to see about how to create a panel for being able to just hit buttons to throw turnouts. That seems a little harder but do able.

You can do that with the DS64 stationary decoder. You can control 4 turnouts with a local single momentary push button for each turnout, or by computer control or with your DT4XX type controller with one DS64.
A control panel keeps you at one location on the layout while the radio control offered by Digitrax or other systems allow you to work your train around the layout.

Back