Findings

eTraxx

Found these at Walmart (crafts section)

th_findings_1.jpg
th_findings_2.jpg

Now .. these HAVE to have a use in Model Railroad Land.

Dimensions:

Height: .077"
Dia: .076"
Hole dia: .056"

In N scale:
Height: 1' 5/16"
Dia: 1' 5/32"
Hole dia: 8-61/64"

In HO scale:
Height: 6-45/64"
Dia: 6-39/64"
Hole dia: 4-7/8"

In O scale:
Height: 3-11/16"
Dia: 3-41/64"
Hole dia: 2-11/16"

The hole dia of 4-7/8" in HO is only 1/8" under the nominal pipe size for 4-1/2" pipe (5"). Figure you could again, slide onto wire for pipe collar etc.

Ideas?

Every time my wife drags me into Micheal's, Joanne's, Hobby Lobby or some other craft/sewing store, I go hunting in the beads and jewery departments. There's tons of small shaped metal and plastic thingies (usually at extremely low prices) that can be made into SOMETHING. You just have to figure out what! I have tons of beads that I'm always wishing I could cut in half. Yet to find an effective method to do that.

On a side note, I was at Walgreen's yesterday. Picked up a couple of those pill boxes .. the ones labeled for the days of the week .. make great storage for small items like beads

Something else great for detailing & cheap at craft stores or Wal-mart - teddy bear eyes. I learned about these from Dean Freytag's steel modelling book. They come in a lot of sizes & are a lot cheaper than Plastruct's elliptical tank ends.

Teddy Bear eyes. Huh. Will have to check that out. I had roamed around the sewing area and found some Covered Buttons. These are little elliptical disks that you cover with cloth and then snap on a back to make a button. The ones I picked up are 7/8" dia (that's 6' 4-13/64" in HO). Looking around I found that is a #36 button. I found this website that sells them in bulk .. and they come in all sizes .. check out the photo. The #45 in the photo is 1-1/8" dia (8' 2" in HO). The #60 is 1-1/2" (10' 10-41/64" in HO). Can't see buying in bulk .. I have no real need for 50 tank ends :) .. still .. will check out the sewing section next time I see one.

DSC_0465.JPG

Back