Finally Getting started building again.

JimT

It's been many years. I spent this summer in he hospital having surgeries, losing half my colon and surviving operations that 60 plus year olds don't survive.... 90% of the time. Luckily I decided to return to my life's hobby near the end of last year. I put together a test track when I got outof the hospital, which kinda worked. I also worked a little on some old rolling stock, and loco's... Now I've started on the "real deal". I have a room, 12 x 19 I am planning to dedicate to a "back woodsey" short line railroad. My plan includes 1930's - 1940's rural and light industry. One end of the railroad is a 5 x 6 foot area which I just began working on. Light industries, lots of indutrial trackage and brick buildngs, I might even be able to work in a very small stream in town like my adopted home town of San Luis Obispo Ca. I currently have everything I need to do the area minus a bit of frame and leg lumber. I'm blessed to have all the tools and supplies I'll likely need in the next year while I continue my physical recovery. I hope to have some trackage working before Christmas.

I'm still really weak, still bleeding in fact but I'm raring to go. I also have Digital cameras and will set up a Photobucket account to memoralize my first efforts as I jump back in,in fact I'll take some pictures this week. Currently I am working with mostly Atlas code 100 NS track. I also have a small selection of loco and rolling stock to begin (DC) this will be quite a change from my last layout, a big U.P. mainline layout filling a three car garage. I have lots of thanks to give to fellow member HOexplorer, and his Mega Thread building the Pinacle Creek Mining and Timber Company http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...ing-the-Pinacle-Creek-Mining-amp-Timber-Co-RR which has been an inspiration as well as a tool to help me begin reading again, and frankly thinking rationally and critically.

It's been a tough year, now, finally I'm starting to have some fun. Wish me luck and thanks for the company fella's (and gal's).

Hey Jim!

Fantastic news, thanks for the update, I will be following along with your work.

One things doctors can't measure is a mans will to win. Having had my last rites, twice, I know just where you are coming from. Never give up, never give in!

I hope the doctors know about the bleeding. Take it slow and build up steam before high balling.

I look forward to the pictures, thanks again for sharing your experience.

You have more will power than most and I sure look forward to riding along on your journey.

Hey Jim!

Fantastic news, thanks for the update, I will be following along with your work.

One things doctors can't measure is a mans will to win. Having had my last rites, twice, I know just where you are coming from. Never give up, never give in!

I hope the doctors know about the bleeding. Take it slow and build up steam before high balling.

I look forward to the pictures, thanks again for sharing your experience.

Bruette, The bleeding is normal. I have two big wounds in my lower abdomen, one has closed the other is slowly closing. Doc says I have another 6-9 months until the wound completely closes. I watch it, the blood (maybe 30 drops a day) is bright red, no infection as of yet. Mostly it's just more laundry. I live alone, so that's up to me. Thanks for your good thoughts.

Thanks Jim, I feel better :) I understand now, I had a drain from one surgery and they are supposed to weep a bit. Is that similar to yours?

We know we are getting old when we spend so much time talking about our health, don't get me started on my prescriptions!

Bruette, I guess it's "weeping" I do sleep with towels between me and the sheets... and only the left side is comfortable. Heck with health for now. I got my "first phase" working tonight. Everything ran well right off the bat. This little layout is truely going to be my "test / practice" layout, with room for all kinds of experimentation. I discovered my coordination isn't what it was before my surgery, or for that matter what it was 20 years ago. My vision also isn't so good, but I have a couple of "Opti-Visors" that really help with the tiny stuff. It was great to see a train running tonight. I also tooks some digital photo's which I will post soon.

I used a bunch of sectional track on this project, first sectional track since the 1950's, it worked fine. 18" radii, 24" radii, a couple of snap switches and a LH curve switch with a piece of flex 36 inches long connecting things. I got to use one of my Dremels with a cut off disk on the flex, my Weller solder station and a small ball peen hammer putting stuff together. Feels pretty good. By the time I'm tired of the little pike and I'm strong and healthy enough to try the "room filler" I should know what my "new normal" is.

This is as much fun as I remembered. The Lord is blessing me for sure.

Jim,
I am happy to hear you are getting better. I know it is hard to have physical issues and the healing process always is longer than expected but you have this great hobby to keep you mind focused on. The nice thing is that you can work on the layout at your own pace, we all look forward to your progress on the layout. Hope you continue to feel better.

Scott

You are right Jim, enough of dwelling on our health, let's have some fun with our trains!

Here's a bit I just experianced. I was running my test layout as the loco began to slow down. I checked everything out... no shorts. I was using a MRC Railine 370 that I've owned for decades always using as a test unit. On a hunch I replaced with a simular vintage MRC 501, problem solved. The 501 was a NOS unit I've had forever as well, just unused. On the actual layout I have Troller hand helds I prefer... lots of work for now. Just goes to show that it makes sense to check the obvious early.

I have since checked out the Railline with my VOM and it indeed isn't operating well at all.

I am having a hard time believing how much fun I'm having working on a 4x5 HO layout. Things are running OK, I've already noticed flaws in some of my rolling stock. I also have realized that the Atlas style switch machines are prone to hitting the loco's and longer freight cars. I've never used the Atlas style machines before... duh... I won't be using them, at least as they are designed this time eigher. I used to use all metal wheels and I can already see I will have to budget the same now. I have lots of left over stuff... sadly wheels are not included. Luckily I have enough other stuff to keep me very busy.

I am already getting ideas and a frame of reference by placing old buildings near the tracks. I'm wondering how my fellows here feel about batteries and LED's for caboose and passenger car lighting. Wipers put a lot of strain on performance. Currently I can work about 30 minutes then rest for an hour or so. It's worth it too.

Jim you are right about checking the obvious first. I learned that lesson early in my career as a mechanic. Never over look the obvious.

I'm glad to hear about your fun! Trains are great fun, no mater the size of the layout.

I read a special edition of Model Railroading about building small layouts. I was surprised to read that many experienced modelers prefer to build small layouts. After having done big elaborate layouts they enjoy doing the smaller ones because they won't take as long to complete. I was also surprised to read that many if not most big elaborate layouts never get finished.

I am glad to hear you found a balance between work and rest. That was the hardest part for me. Once I found my "sweet spot" my health has been improving and my stamina is actually growing.

I don't know what the experts would say but I like the idea of batteries as opposed to adding electrical pick ups. Simple straight forward solution, always my favorite way to go. Not that realism matters to me I would thing batteries could look more realistic as well. A small investment in rechargeable batteries and a charger might be a good idea as well.

LASM put a battery and LED lights in a dummy locomotive to add light to his layout and it looks fantastic! It's on page 7 of his thread Alternative materials He does great work and I admire his methods. His work is simple and cost effective and best of all it looks great!

Keep up the good work, my friend. I am having fun and learning following along with you!

JimT:

There is one trick to Atlas switch machines I had to learn after some Athearn 6 axle locos and my PAs started derailing at the switch. Replace the roundhead brass screws with flathead screws. The roundhead screws stick up too high and don't have enough clearance. The locos's front step or the PA pilot would hit the screw head and derail.

I've also had to file the points on some of my turnouts so they butt up better against the main rail.

I've noticed these problems are occurring with the newer, Chinese-made turnouts. My oldest Atlas turnouts were made in the U.S. and don't have these problems.

Photoman, I'll try out your "screw" solution, certainly sounds sensible. I'll also look into filing the points. Atlas does not look to be as high quality as Shinohara, or even Peco howerver it's Atlas that fits my budget.

You'll need 2-56 flathead screws-should have put that in the post. Sorry!

And I have the same problem with the budget-Atlas fits the budget while the others don't.

I seem to have smoothed out the problems and everything is running smoothly on my little pike. One piece of advice, make sure that the "hoses" on your Kadee couplers aren't getting fouled on turnouts. I carefully bent a few upward and it made a huge difference. Now I'm going to start looking for a good source for 33 inch metal wheelsets as at least half my stuff is running on plastic wheels.

Anyone else have any wheel ideas? In the olden days I bought a big box of Grant Line wheels. They were package four axels to a bag, the box held hundreds of sets. I still have a couple of dozen sets I guess installed on old freight cars. I've been looking about investing in a big bag of Intermountain wheels 40 cars worth for about $50.00 but I am certainly open to any reasonable suggestions.

JimT:

I priced Kadee wheelsets at my LHS and they were $8.00 more for a package of 12 than Intermountain for a 12 pack. I'd think the bag would be a good deal.

I should have mentioned the air hoses on KD couplers-I'm just so used to doing it when I install them that I don't even think about it any more.

Back