Feeders... am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all the input. I have been using flux and do try to keep the tip clean. I'm going to look for a chisel tip that is more suitable than the one I have (and that I didn't use after the first try because it was too fat for the space between the ties).

A question about tinning....

If I tin the rail, and I tin the wire, do I need any more solder behind what has been applied to the rail and the wire? Or do I just rely on the solder applied in the tinning stage to make the bond once I connect rail and wire together?

That is correct and its the beauty of tinning...if you tin the wire and tin the rail seperatly you should be able to just place the tinned wire to the tinned spot on the rail, touch the iron to it and see the soldered tinning flow together and your done. I urge you to watch the first video link I provided you.

That is correct and its the beauty of tinning...if you tin the wire and tin the rail seperatly you should be able to just place the tinned wire to the tinned spot on the rail, touch the iron to it and see the soldered tinning flow together and your done. I urge you to watch the first video link I provided you.
Thank you. You know, I wish the wiring books would explain that in words of one syllable!

Quick update -- this morning I soldered feeders on another turnout with much greater success. Still getting the hang of things, and there are a few more soldering accessories I need to get... but maybe that learning curve is beginning to flatten out a little... Oh, and that video was very helpful, Genetk44 -- thank you for the link!

I check resistance on the circuit. If the resistance is zero (or close to it for a VERY long lead) then the circuit is most likely good. The downside of this analysis is that a circuit under load may fail. If your solder joints are good (shiny solder, mechanically strong) and your connections are correct, this is not likely.

Back