Feedback on first track plan...

GS4fan

Hey all,

this is my first track plan that i have developed/copied. I have a very basic
4x6 roundy round on a warped piece of plywood. I want to start over with something else that has more purpose. I have researched and read so many articles my head is spinning. I have a two car garage that is all mine but uninsulated. after trying to come up with a large plan i realized that i would never get it finished and most likely end up frustrated. so i tweaked a smaller plan with room to expand that can easily be moved from the basement when i finish it and into the garage and incorporate it into a larger layout.
heres my "givens and druthers":
has to have round and round for kids.
has some switching
enough room to add scenic elements.
expandable/portable
passenger sevice
freight service
1930's to 1940's

i havent really worked out the industries yet and the bottom left side could be reworked into a small yard or loco service area.

the main purpose was to try and build something that i can actually finish in a reasonable timeline...
anyway... thoughts? ideas? if you have some ideas on industry combinations that would be great too.

it looks like a nice switching layout. I would try to make the run around track/siding longer so you could hold a few more cars but thats all I see that needs attention.

trent

Of all the 4' x 8' plans I've seen this looks terrific, nice idea! Agree with mack on the run around track but other than that I really like it. It has loads of potential!

I like it too. In addition to the runaround suggestions, I'd take a look at that "X" track in the middle. It looks overly complicated, with too many tracks crossing over one another when they could be handled with switches off a common spur. That double track crossing at the bottom doesn't look like it does anything. If it's there for looks or future expansion, that's fine, but most guys get sticker shock once they add up the price of crossing on a layout like yours.

thanks for the fast feedback. good suggestions that im going to look into. the x in the middle isn't something I was too crazy about but it offered a way to turn a train around. I may rework that section. the dbl crossing in the bottom right was supposed to have an extra little stub to connect to future tracks but im thinking I may remove that. I could always add it in later off the centre section.
hopefully I can post an updated version later.
thanks again!

man, im a little slow today. looking again I can clearly see that you can't actually turn a train in the centre! its still early, please forgive me. so anyway, just wanted to point out my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
version 3

ok...
heres another version that i came up with. I eliminated the X in the middle and the dbl crossings in the lower right. i also added 3" to the runaround in the top. and reconfigured the lower left into a mini yard/storage. the middle section may get changed as i figure out my scenery but its a start.

Much better plan. If you really want to turn a train, you'll need a wye. You've got a wye almost built with those lower track revisions. All you would have to do is connect the straight spur track on the right back to the mainline although it looks like you'd have to use a curved switch.

thanks for the valuable feedback. it was quite helpful as I have never designed an actual plan before. I got my new plywood on friday. I also took a look at my current inventory and decided to move my era into the 50's because I have more vehicles in that era.
thanks again for everyone's input.

I like the new one. good job! It will give you more room to runaround your train to switch with it. keep us posted with the work. and dont be afraid to ask more questions.

now that I have the track plan more or less in place its time to sort out my industries. my era will be early to mid 50's (subject to change :eek:) and all I really know is that I think ill have a passenger platform on the bottom along the mainline. after that im a bit overwhelmed by choices. Im not sure if I should keep the entire layout as a cityscape or more rural. I thought the city would be ok as I have a lot of track in a small space which could be incorporated into a larger layout. how about some industry ideas that would fit into my theme.
what I've got on the idea list so far:
some sort of mill
scrap yard
manufacturing facilities
freighthouse

anyone got some more ideas?

Back