Feather River Route and my Layout Project (CLOSED - See "Wild Horse Wye")

FeatherRiver

The Feather River Canyon has always been a favorite of mine;
therefore my desire is to build my model railroad layout featuring the Western Pacific / UP train route through Feather River Canyon.

The incredible engineering marvel of the Keddie Wye; a towering trestle over the Feather River Canyon; tracks that follow along the side of the Feather River; several tunnels on this route which kept the grade to no more than 1%; and California Highway Route #70 crossing over this Western Pacific / Union Pacific Route, truly makes this one of the greatest railroad engineering achievements in the United States.

Note 1: Construction of the Keddie “Wye” through the Feather River Canyon made it possible for train consists to travel in two different directions using the same route – East to West and West to East - without the need for “double tracking”.

Note 2: I will try to include (upload) photos of all this.

Some additional facts about this route:

The original owner of this route was the Western Pacific Railroad. Date: April 3,1903.

Construction began in 1906 and was completed in 1909 at then the horrific cost of 75 Million.

Union Pacific Railroad became the owner of this route in 1983, making it primarily a freight railroad.

Regular Passenger Travel ceased in 1970.

The last special Passenger Train Excursion trip traveled through the Feather River Canyon in 2022.

Link for more information on the Western Pacific / Union Pacific Feather River Route
NOTE: I tried clicking on this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather_River_Route
However it directed me to the main entrance page of Wikipdia.
So if you want to see information on the Feather River Route, first go to Wikipedia.org, then type in Feather River Route in "Search".

Common sense tells me it will take a joint effort of my desire to recreate this model railroad Prototype, plus expert knowledge of track laying, trestle building, and scenery management; not to mention the DCC equipment requirements that are needed to pull all this together as a working, prototype model railroad.

I am open to any comments or suggestions by other members of this forum.

Photos uploaded below are the property of Union Pacific. I obtained them through wikipedia.org
If this is in violation of copyright law, or if Union Pacific wants me to delete these photos, let me know.

Attachments

• Union Pacific frieght train - Feather River Canyon Butte County, CA March 2022.jpg
    Union Pacific frieght train - Feather River Canyon Butte County, CA March 2022.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 58
  • KeddieWye.JPG
    KeddieWye.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Union Pacific FeatherRiver Route.JPG
    Union Pacific FeatherRiver Route.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I assume you've been to the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola? If not, worth a visit. One of the most interesting RR museums that I've been to, mostly because they let you climb all over the equipment.

Here's a picture of their Alco S-4 that I took during a visit several years ago. Good luck to you on your layout.

53321945043_26ecb6e754_b.jpg

As Marlin says, it sounds an interesting project.

Just my 2 centsworth.

Don't over complicate the trackwork. It may look good, but a devil when it breaks down. (It will)
Have easy access to all the track. Trains love to derail in awkward places. Then there is track cleaning to do.
It is not a race. Build it at your pace.
Keep researching the line. It brings its own enjoyment.
When things go wrong (note I didn't say 'If') do not get downhearted. It is a learning curve. (We have all been there.)

Most important is to HAVE FUN. KEEP IT FUN. It is a hobby. A hobby that pays you back a thousand fold in new learning skills.

I assume you've been to the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola? If not, worth a visit. One of the most interesting RR museums that I've been to, mostly because they let you climb all over the equipment.

Here's a picture of their Alco S-4 that I took during a visit several years ago. Good luck to you on your layout.

53321945043_26ecb6e754_b.jpg
Nice photo!
Yes, I have visited the WP Museum! Next time I am there (next spring) I would like to opt in for a ride in the cab of one of their locomotives.

As Marlin says, it sounds an interesting project.

Just my 2 centsworth.

Don't over complicate the trackwork. It may look good, but a devil when it breaks down. (It will)
Have easy access to all the track. Trains love to derail in awkward places. Then there is track cleaning to do.
It is not a race. Build it at your pace.
Keep researching the line. It brings its own enjoyment.
When things go wrong (note I didn't say 'If') do not get downhearted. It is a learning curve. (We have all been there.)

Most important is to HAVE FUN. KEEP IT FUN. It is a hobby. A hobby that pays you back a thousand fold in new learning skills.
Thanks for your comments.
You are so right ... when I built my first layout I was new to the hobby of Model Railroading. It was fun but also hard work; and sometimes even frustrating - like the time I had "open house" for model railroad fans. Everything went wrong - couldn't even get one locomotive to run. But apparently most of my visitors liked the layout; and a few years later when I moved, two of them came back and bought the "mountain scenery" of my layout.

Soon I will post some of the photos of that first project.

You're welcome!
I see you are a "new member" like me! Hope you enjoy this forum.
Just curious - you don't have to answer if you don't want to - but interested in how you came to discover this forum?
For me, I found it through "search".

You found this forum the same way I did. I searched for model railroading forums and several came up. This forum seemed to be what I was looking for, based on everything that I saw while browsing through the various threads.

Whenever I get the urge to take on a project of this magnitude, I go lay down until the urge passes. :eek: :p

But outside of that, welcome to the forum, FeatherRiver. And if you can pull it off, then my hat's off to you!!! :)👍

Whenever I get the urge to take on a project of this magnitude, I go lay down until the urge passes. :eek: :p

But outside of that, welcome to the forum, FeatherRiver. And if you can pull it off, then my hat's off to you!!! :)👍
Thanks for your reply.:)
Yes, I am aware of the fact that I have selected a MRR Layout that is intensive and complicated.
However, it seems that is in my inner nature - being that I am an Aquarian with Taurus Rising.

Anyway, I will be sure to post news "updates" on this forum regarding this project as it progresses.;)

I am in the process now of contacting Benchwork / Modular construction experts who are familiar with what I am trying to achieve.
Most so far seem to be located in Eastern United States (I discovered one in California); there is one person who has built projects such as mine,
and who is capable and willing to come to my area.

You will find out how the deep the rabbit hole is and how deep your pockets are. 😁 Trust me, BTDT.

Good luck and have fun.
Hello! Thanks for your comment.

The truth of the situation is I am physically unable to do a lot of the work that goes into building a MRR layout - as I did with my first layout. So I am in a position where I have to rely upon someone(s) that can do at least the hardest physical tasks.

Yesterday I was going through my photo albums I kept regarding my first MRR layouts - 3 of them between 1998 and 2003. If I am successful in taking a few photos of photos (I don't have the original negatives) - I will post a few photos here soon.

Last edited:
Here are the photos I mentioned in Post # 12. This was my first of 3 layouts - 1998 to 2003.
Click on 1st photo to see expanded view of photos and captions.

Attachments

• Began structure work April 1998.jpg
    Began structure work April 1998.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Each brace was bolted - no nails!.jpg
    Each brace was bolted - no nails!.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 49
  • In the left corner was my Dept. 56 display.jpg
    In the left corner was my Dept. 56 display.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Started laying track.jpg
    Started laying track.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Turn Table and Round House.jpg
    Turn Table and Round House.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Underneath view of Turn Table.jpg
    Underneath view of Turn Table.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 46
  • View of 2 tunnels and, mountain. Center left   -Lake with actual water from mountain stream!.jpg
    View of 2 tunnels and, mountain. Center left -Lake with actual water from mountain stream!.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Completed Scenery. View of Tunnel.jpg
    Completed Scenery. View of Tunnel.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Due to some unforeseen changes in my life, I have decided to at least temporarily put on "hold" constructing a prototype MRR Layout with regard to the Feather River Route in California and Nevada.

However, in early February 2024 I will begin building a MRR Layout using a special type of Modular Benchwork from a California manufacturer.
Levels: To start with, there will be one level, and it will be in the shape of an "L" made up of two separate, connected sections.
Basic Size of Layout: 3' x 5'
Scale: HO
Type of Operation: DCC Control by NCE
Future construction: I hope to build a 2nd level which will include tracks, scenery, and a few buildings.

I will post photos of this project from the arrival of material; laying Code 83 track; turnouts; signals; etc.;
and during posting of the progress of these phases I welcome constructive comments and suggestions.

NOTE: I haven't yet decided to keep this project under the current forum thread, or start a new one.
Any suggestions?

1. Who are you using for the benchwork?
2. Start a new thread
3. Stuff happens;) You're just delayed.
Hello,
Thanks for your reply and suggestion!

In reply to your Number one above:
It may be premature of me to mention the name of the manufacturer just yet; I want to receive the first shipment of products ordered before releasing their name. If their product is as expected or better, I will continue to purchase from them - and of course I will post the name of the company here or in the new thread.

Yes, I believe your suggestion is spot on; so I will start a new thread - leaving a link within this thread to the new thread.

" 'Stuff happens' " - it sure do.:D

Looking forward to the new layout.

I agree with Marlin39, start a new thread.
Thank you!
I am really looking forward to starting a new MRR Layout. It has been a long time since I have had the opportunity (and the ambition) to start a new model railroad; and with all the new equipment and materials available now as compared to when I had my previous layout makes it it even more interesting!

As I stated in Post #15 above, I would make an announcement here that I have started a new forum Thread for my new layout project.
Look under the main heading of: Layout Design and Construction; then click on: L & S MMR Layout by Feather River.

Last edited:

Back