Favorite model railroading ERA -ERA's 1800's- ?

BCK RR

[FONT=&quot] What’s your Favorite model railroading ERA -ERA's 1800's -?

BCK RR aka Tom

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A person is never too old to learn, the need for education never stops. It stops for those who do not have the mental, physical capability and desire to be educated. [/FONT]

Transition era, late summer of 1957 to be exact. Grew up in this time period and have memories of steam, electric and diesel running when I was a kid and even had the opportunity to have ridden with relatives working on the railroad.

I'd have to say the diesel era. I grew up in the 80s near tracks in Jacksonville. My current layout is going to be based in the 70s though because if I can find enough vehicles, I plan to mix my love of model trains with my love of muscle cars and hot rods. I like steam trains too, but I'm having trouble picturing an old 4-6-4 with a Hemi 'Cuda. Maybe a Delorean, but not the 'Cuda. Lol

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I'm modeling the mid to late 50's in western Nebraska. I really enjoy steam engines, have been fascinated by them since I was a kid. I also like the looks of the early diesels. They have more character, IMHO, than the modern diesels do.

What’s your Favorite model railroading ERA -ERA's 1800's -?
It would depend on how one classifies the era. Personally, I classify them this way:
Vintage Steam Era - 1827 to 1850
Expansion Era - 1850 to 1875 (don't remember why I set the 1875 date)
Classic Steam Era - 1875 to 1920 (dates vary greatly by railroad - includes all WWI and the USRA stuff)
Super Steam Era - 1920 to 1946 (prolonged by WWII)
Transition Era - 1940 to 1960 (really begins in 1937 with EMD E1 but takes hold with the in FT 1941 and ends when the N&W retires last mainline steam.) Most class 1 and class 2 railroads were diesel by 1957. Petticoat Junction type short lines lasted a tiny bit longer into the 1960s.
First Generation Diesel Era - 1955 to 1975 (almost two time periods here depending on how one counts the introduction of the EMD 645)
Second Diesel Generation - 1972 to 1995 (begins with -2 series of electronics).
Third Generation Diesel - 1997 (begins with the SD70 w/EFI & Dash 8)
Modern Era - 2005 (begins with EPA tier-2 emissions standards. Basically the EMD 720Gxx-T2 prime mover and Gevo).

Of course just a few years ago the "Third Generation" was the Modern era, so it will always be a moving target.

So to answer your question - my favorite would be the Classic Steam. The problem with that era is lack of equipment and good resource materials. Having to guess so much and scratch build so much can be come tedious after a while.

Transition Era, 1953 so my Northern Pacific layout can run steam and first generation diesels. I am also partial to the 40 foot freight car.

HPIM7837 (Small).JPG

Northern Pacific W-3 Mikado, crossing the Hoo-Doo Gulch Trestle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn of the Century, 1900-1905, Wilmington & Northern Branch of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad.

I model a 4-year swath of time, on the B&O from 1969 thru 1972. This was the time I had my most memorable railfanning experiences with E-unit powered passenger trains, F7's, GP7/9's, and SD7/9's; it also was immediately before the bright yellow "Chessie" scheme was applied, so I don't have to deal with the heartburn of trying to replicate that.

My idea of 1st -vs- 2nd generation diesels differs slightly from the Horseman's. To me, 1st generation diesels were the ones that ran alongside steam locos in the transition era. Any EMD powered by the 645 prime mover is what I would consider 2nd gen. I also lump the 567-powered turbocharged GP30 and GP35 together with their 645 cousins, since F units got traded-in for them.

Since we are talking eras here, I hope this is a good place to pose this question. I need to know what would be a good assortment of vehicles to fit a 70s themed layout. I know that not everyone had new cars back then and there were plenty of 60s models and I'm sure quite a few 50s models still running around, but most N Scale vehicles I've seen fit more into the transition era (40s & 50s). I may not be modeling a prototype, but I still want to achieve period accuracy. No modern cars, and not too many big fender rides either. Any help as to an appropriate ratio of older to newer would be appreciated.

Jesse

G'day all ..As I'm a huge BNSF fan I decided to do 1980's onwards . I guess that's my favourite but when I see great older era stuff , that's a favourite too.
ALL ERA'S ARE A FAVOURITE I SUPPOSE. Cheers Rod.

I'm probably more the transition era as well, only because I like both steam and diesel. To be perfectly honest, if I could I would have one layout for each :rolleyes:

To be perfectly honest, if I could I would have one layout for each :rolleyes:
Seems you tried that once. So did I. Even had different road names for each. On one (the N-scale) SF SP ruled the rails. HO was CB&Q / GN / NP. O-scale was UP and Indiana Harbor belt. Having three working layouts was such that none got sufficient attention so all were less than they could have been. Sill regret razing that O-scale though. If I would have only gotten this building 7 years earlier.

It would depend on how one classifies the era. Personally, I classify them this way:
Vintage Steam Era - 1827 to 1850
Expansion Era - 1850 to 1875 (don't remember why I set the 1875 date)
Classic Steam Era - 1875 to 1920 (dates vary greatly by railroad - includes all WWI and the USRA stuff)
Super Steam Era - 1920 to 1946 (prolonged by WWII)
Transition Era - 1940 to 1960 (really begins in 1937 with EMD E1 but takes hold with the in FT 1941 and ends when the N&W retires last mainline steam.) Most class 1 and class 2 railroads were diesel by 1957. Petticoat Junction type short lines lasted a tiny bit longer into the 1960s.
First Generation Diesel Era - 1955 to 1975 (almost two time periods here depending on how one counts the introduction of the EMD 645)
Second Diesel Generation - 1972 to 1995 (begins with -2 series of electronics).
Third Generation Diesel - 1997 (begins with the SD70 w/EFI & Dash 8)
Modern Era - 2005 (begins with EPA tier-2 emissions standards. Basically the EMD 720Gxx-T2 prime mover and Gevo).

I would propose an alternative based more on technology levels:
Early Era - 1827 to 1860 : the formative years
Ante-Bellum - 1860 to 1875/1880 : standardization of gauges, train orders formative.
Turn of the Century - 1880 to 1910 : Transition to air brakes and knuckle couplers, cars jump to 36 and then 40 ft.
The Great War - 1910 to 1930 : Huge changes in car and locomotive designs, standard lettering, standard grab irons, steel underframes dominant, locomotives get trailing trucks, USRA operation, "modern rules", standardized waybills.
Depression era - 1930-1945 : Contraction and WW2
Transition Era - 1945 to 1960 Steam on its way out, dieselization, consolidation of rail systems.
Rust/Extinction Era - 1960 to 1980 : Class 1 railroads begin to die off, contraction, deferred maintenance, bankruptcies, larger mergers start.
Post Staggers era - 1980 to 2000 : Mega mergers start, railroads rebound financially, short lines proliferate, "traditional" rules replaced.
2nd Millenia era - 2000+ : Mega mergers stabilize, electronic technology proliferates, EOT, DPU, PTC, computerization widespread.

I decided on the 70's because I wanted as much locomotive diversification possible on my layout.
Any locomotive build between the mid 1950's through the mid 70's.
There was the script lettering and the block lettering as well as the burgundy or red with the pacman logo.

Seems you tried that once. So did I. Even had different road names for each. On one (the N-scale) SF SP ruled the rails. HO was CB&Q / GN / NP. O-scale was UP and Indiana Harbor belt. Having three working layouts was such that none got sufficient attention so all were less than they could have been. Sill regret razing that O-scale though. If I would have only gotten this building 7 years earlier.
To avoid the problem of multiple layouts, I plan to make one continuous that covers all of the eras and iterations of the line(s) I plan to model. There may end up being some overlap, but I hope to maintain each era independently but also allow for flow from one region to the next, if that makes any sense.

Jesse

I decided on the 70's because I wanted as much locomotive diversification possible on my layout.
Any locomotive build between the mid 1950's through the mid 70's.
There was the script lettering and the block lettering as well as the burgundy or red with the pacman logo.
I'd love to see some pics of your layout. I am also modeling the 70s and need some references for architectural styles. I've done some research, but I know that first person perspective is always best. And since that was a bit before my birth I have zero first hand knowledge. Lol

Jesse

I'd love to see some pics of your layout. I am also modeling the 70s and need some references for architectural styles. I've done some research, but I know that first person perspective is always best. And since that was a bit before my birth I have zero first hand knowledge. Lol

Jesse

All you have to do is follow my progress here:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...38234-Hawks-NEW-quot-MHO-Junction-quot-layout

Or my signature (blog and facebook)

Or my YouTube page here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGWWvt_FMB2hYvF2dp7FAHQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

I did in a way have had 2 or 3 layouts going at once but none of them dedicated to either steam or diesel. As you said, having more than one layout to deal with tends to mean none of them get 100%.

Back