Favorite Layouts of Other Famous Modelers...

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
A short time ago I was sitting in the hospital's lounge area and was thinking about which layouts are my favorites. I know without a doubt John Allen's work is at the top of my of list, but others like Howard Zane, George Sellios and club layouts like the North American Prototypical Modelers and the Puget Sound Model Railroad (PSMR) are near the top. I also enjoy watching the progress and videos of the layouts created by the members of the Forum.

Please share which famous model railroad are your favorites.

Thanks.

Greg

Another great topic Greg!

I don't know that its famous, but this has always been a favorite, and I've watch it several times. Just Awesome Urban modeling done with this one. Cant imagine the time he has in it. I have another favorite that I will have to find as well.

The Pasedena Model Railroad Club.
The Wyoming Division Model Railroad.

Then of course, my empire, The D&J Railroad

A short time ago I was sitting in the hospital's lounge area and was thinking about which layouts are my favorites. I know without a doubt John Allen's work is at the top of my of list, but others like Howard Zane, George Sellios and club layouts like the North American Prototypical Modelers and the Puget Sound Model Railroad (PSMR) are near the top. I also enjoy watching the progress and videos of the layouts created by the members of the Forum.

Thanks.

Greg
I LOVE THIS ONE.... Tall Timbers Santa Fe ....I am biased because I'm trying to model Santa Fe/ BNSF myself .. Mr Jim Loffler has done some beautiful work . Watch this artistry ..
.. Cheers Rod.

I have not seen many of the "famous" model railroads in person, so I cannot really say. One cannot really tell from photographs how good or not good the pike is. On the other hand, if one is talking only of the track plan I believe I liked the original CAT Mountain. Its only issue was that the curves were only 24" radius, greatly limiting the equipment that could be run.

One of my favorites is the Franklin & South Manchester. I was lucky enough to have seen the first stage of ths outstanding layout in person. The detail work is incredible.

Being more of an urban modeler than a model railroader, I love the City's Edge mentioned above and the Franklin and South Manchester. The later though I fine a bit too grungy looking. I also find Rod Stewart's Three Rivers urban modeling amazing. I wish he would let out more photos of his city scene.

John Allen's without a doubt. The Frary and Hayden Carabasset and Dead River is another one I have admired, just from the pages of Model Railroader.

When I was a teenager, and had an aunt who lived in Suburban Washington DC, I managed to arrange to visit John Armstrong and see his O scale Canandaigua Southern. That was a very cool experience, even though it was not my scale.

I think there are some others, none of which I have seen in person, that might come to mine. If so I will supplement this entry.

Here is one im in awe of as well! I believe the owner of Summit Custom Cuts (the manufacturer of the modern restaurants, hotel and shopping center kits) built it. If you have 20 minutes it is a fantastic layout too!

Santa Cruz Northern. Great operating concept and was able to visit in the mid-1980s. That visit changed my perspective on modeling a railroad. I was also given a chance to visit Jack Burgess' Yosemite Valley line about the same time.

If given a chance would like to see the Washington Northern.

Here is one im in awe of as well! I believe the owner of Summit Custom Cuts (the manufacturer of the modern restaurants, hotel and shopping center kits) built it. If you have 20 minutes it is a fantastic layout too!

Wow. Just wow. That is amazing.

Since he is in the business, do you suppose all his hobby expenses are tax-deductible as R&D;)?

Thanks for posting that.

There are so many! John Allen's layout is at the pinnacle of my list; too, however, it is more for what he accomplished with what he had to work with at the time he was in the hobby! I am impressed with the Colorado Model Railroad Museum's layout in Greeley Colorado, Jack Parkers Northern Pacific Layout in Oceanside California and Bill Scobie's Rio Grande Southern up in Elmer Quebec, Canada. Can you detect there is a Western slant to my likes?

For some reason, Minnesota is considered to be in the west, even though technically speaking, looking at the country from above, it can clearly be seen that Minnesota is in the eastern half, for some reason I gravitate towards the western roads! I probably would just pass by a video of an eastern line, as I am just not interested, even though I know there are great layout to be seen, that depict the east! We all have our likes and dislikes!

The La Mesa club is awesome:

I also like the Southern California Traction Club's layout:

Last edited:
Tony Koester's layouts were always an inspiration to me as a kid. I loved his Allegheny Midland layout way back when, but his more recent Nickel Plate layout is pretty sweet too.

I'm going to keep it local though. I've only just learned about this man but I believe one of Minnesota's own titans of model railroading is Bob Rivard and his Soo Line layout.

Back