F units on an NS buinness train

Great video Michael, thank you.

That brings to mind a couple of questions.

Did they always have those locomotives in service or did the have to pull them from the bone yard or buy them and rebuild them?

I only saw crossing gates on one side of the tracks, maybe the other was out of view. My question is, would you see in the real world crossing gates on only one side? All the ones I have seen in the Baltimore area have gates on both sides.

I don't know if its these units or refurbished, but I recall somewhere some F units were remotored with modern engines, or was it some Geeps, anyways, something to dig info out.

Ya I don't think these units have been in service the entire time. NS restored them recently. Maybe because UP has their steam heritage program. Kind of like they copied UP on the heritage paint schemes on the SD70Aces. UP = Innovate. NS = lets just see what UP is doing.

Like the vid I may be wrong but most the cars on that train are from tbe 60. so I'm thinking it like the up steam train that runs use old and rebuilt units to keep people intersested in the past.

A couple of months back I saw a Soo F-unit in a consist running between yards here. I'm not talking the red white and black billboard scheme but classier green & yellow. It was with a NS and the most beat up war bonnet I've ever seen. They were pulling a train but I wonder if the F was just part of the load. No I did not have my camera.

Back