Everything's Better with Bluebonnet on it

Espeefan

If you remember that commercial... you're old! After Amtrak made it's appearance in 1971 Santa Fe had all kinds of passenger F's to be repurposed. Several variations on the Warbonnet theme appeared. Those variations always caught my eye. Some years back Athearn did blue and yellow bonnets. They sold out fast and have attained high prices on e-Bay. Athearn has done another run, and last week at the LHS I saw this one in the case. It's out of era for me, but it looks good pulling a freight!
IMG_2492.JPG

It isn't too out of era for you, those freight cars fit nicely behind it!! IMHO
That's what I told myself Jerome LOL! I do have some bloody nose SP stuff that fits with it, and while our club does have an era if you leave something on the layout permanently, you can run anything you want. It needs lightly weathered. This is also my first model with the Tsunami 2 decoder, which is nice. If they do a Yellow Bonnet, I'll get one of those too! While I favor the red, like Sherrel, these mark an interesting point in Santa Fe history.

fwiw, back in those days, I used margarine, instead of butter. I switched back to butter no later than some time during the early to mid 1980's. PRR was my road of choice. My brother was into the Santa Fe and EL. I eventually got into the Reading, as I thought it was more modelable than the PRR, and the NEC I was familiar with. As my Dad had worked for the UP before being called up for WWII, and after he was discharged for awhile, I was not into the Santa Fe, until I bought some shares of it, in 1989, after the SP merger fell thru, and I thought it would eventually merge with the BN. Made out pretty well, and eventually sold out when they became part of Warren Buffet's holding company. FWIW, the yellow and blue warbonnets now are interesting as in 'variations on a theme.,' sort of way.

I remember seeing them in person in Wichita Kansas. Santa Fe was pulling all the F units back toward Cleburne so many of them finished their service around there. So many times I remember driving by the "north" roundhouse and saying, "nothing but a bunch of old F units." I certainly wish I would have taken a picture each time I went by.

Never saw any yellow ones, but weren't those FPs?

I remember seeing them in person in Wichita Kansas. Santa Fe was pulling all the F units back toward Cleburne so many of them finished their service around there. So many times I remember driving by the "north" roundhouse and saying, "nothing but a bunch of old F units." I certainly wish I would have taken a picture each time I went by.

Never saw any yellow ones, but weren't those FPs?
I don't believe so. Nice looking though.
Warbonnets.jpg

Alan- that makes a really nice consist.
A little variety in colors makes a layout more interesting.
Hi Mikey! I've gotten hooked on Tangent tank cars, which gets a bit expensive. :oops: The red ones are BLI Chlorine tank cars. I split a four pack with another club member. I was talking with some guys on another forum about this. I've found you have to be careful with color. If your tank car box looks like the five flavor lifesaver roll, you might be over doing it a bit LOL!

Back