Ever heard of T gauge?

bob

Administrator
Staff member
No, not TT scale, that's an older scale in between HO and N. It's been around a long time but never really caught on.

This is T scale. Named since it runs on 3 mm track. Amazingly it's about 1/2 the size of N scale (Wonder why they didn't call it HZ? That well worked for HO, which was named that since it's Half O scale.)

Quoting the website:
Having been launched in Japan in 2006 TGauge takes its name T from Three. Three relates to the 3mm track gauge.
The scale size of T is 1:450, which makes it around half the size of Z and one third the size of N. It’s not until you actually see these trains in real life that you believe how small they are!

Trains are powered by 4.5v micro motors which pick their power up from the rails. Traction and reliable connection is helped by the powered wheels being magnetic. In most cases, locomotives will also have directional lighting.

I recall hearing about it, but figured it was just a curiosity. It still is for the most part but they do appear to be getting more serious about it.

http://www.tgauge.com/

At the last couple of Brisbane Model Train Shows, there's been a young, slightly handicapped guy who was displaying a layout he had built. I wondered whether in fact the rolling stock had wheels, it's so tiny. They must have had because they moved freely.

Yeah, but just think, a container ship alongside the dock would be much more feasible.

I briefly experimented with N-scale. My aging eyes and fat fumbly fingers didn't do so well with it.
T-scale? As Wendy Bagwell used to say: "There ain't no way!!"

T Gauge

Over the years this guy has been trying to make it popular, I don't know how he went as I have not followed him for a couple of years now,
here is his sight and there are a few video there and a few layouts.

http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/t_gauge_.htm

Attachments

• PT 018r.jpg
    PT 018r.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 431
Last edited by a moderator:
No thank you. I'm having enough trouble with HO scale. I can't believe that at one time I was in N scale. Way too small for me.

I'd imagine it would take some skill putting those tiny wheels on the track even with glasses.
I have a hard enough time with HO some days.
It is said that Z scalers who have modelled that scale for some time can actually throw an O scale car from twenty feet and it will land on the rails. :D

I'd imagine it would take some skill putting those tiny wheels on the track even with glasses.
I have a hard enough time with HO some days.
It is said that Z scalers who have modelled that scale for some time can actually throw an O scale car from twenty feet and it will land on the rails. :D

LOL! THEIR kung-foo is GOOOOD!

We could all have a T scale train running around our computer monitors as we type this.

Or maybe the computer desks where our monitors used to go before we replaced them with tablets.

No I want one for my upstairs!

Eh! Look at the wheels on the ICE train in the video. Those flanges are probably 0.004mm too deep.

Back