Engine identification needed

Josh --
Wonderful info -- so, since I can get up close and personal to engines most times, where on the engine am I likely to find the SNs and the frame numbers -- ends, sides ???

I was surprised to find nothing on numbers in the Armstrong book.

Thanks,
Clair

I'm entering this discussion rather late, but the two locomotives in the first photo, #1900 and #1901 are both SD24's (According to Lines South 4Q 2005). Although, I have seen SD24's, and they don't look like these units...I'm wondering if my source magazine is wrong? Paducah's famous GP10's and GP8's look a lot different from these.

The Georgia Southwestern was spun off by RailAmerica to a local businessman. When RailAmerica left, they look most of their good locomotives with them, the GSWR had to use leasers for quite some time before they could afford their own units. The different divisions that now make up the GSWR have had it rough in the past, but the Georgia Southwestern is doing quite well now... They have a mighty fancy paint job that mimics the old Central of Georgia scheme..

Additionally, the GSWR did have two Paducah GP10's, #8377 and #8375. They've also got a GP8 that RailAmerica gave them...

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh --
Wonderful info -- so, since I can get up close and personal to engines most times, where on the engine am I likely to find the SNs and the frame numbers -- ends, sides ???

I was surprised to find nothing on numbers in the Armstrong book.

Thanks,
Clair
They're usually around the operators cab area, on a metal plate of some sort, or stickers on newer units.

AL, I think Lines South got the ID on these two wrong. There's no turbocharger bulge and the vents are all the wrong place. Assuming these are ex-SOU units, if they were SD-24's, there should be air tanks on the roof also. Unless these things were radically rebuilt by someone, I think they are SD-9's. .

AL1, Jim, its been identified as an SD9, and upon looking at the various photos of "GSWR 1900/1901" around the net, there's no doubt that they are SD9's.

I figured the magazine was wrong, on the next page they have what is clearly a GP9 labeled as a GP7u. I suppose they didn't run it by someone who knew how to identify a locomotive... At least they've got great pictures to make up for the ID mixups!

Back