Electro-magnetic uncoupling?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

chimmike

UP and BNSF freelancer
Has anyone done this? I'm just leery of placing an uncoupler magnet in the track that could uncouple cars every time I pull a train over it......

I'm wondering if there's a way I can make an electro-magnetic uncoupler, flick a switch, uncouple the cars, bam (in true Emeril fashion).

chimmike

UP and BNSF freelancer
yup.

I'm looking at doing a bunch of small detail stuff like this.

getting sensors in the tracks to switch signals appropriately, etc.

Actually I'm working on electromagnetic uncouplers too for HO KaDees since I think its the most powerful magnets U can get. I found a couple on e-bay but lost the bidding :(, so now unless I find some on e-bay for sale I will try do them myself, its not so hard, just have to use the right wiring, so not to get high current on them.

Cjcrescent

Master Mechanic
Why spend money on something I can make? I will spend money on items which I'm not able to make with my hands :)
Max;

IIRC, MR had an article by the late Gordon Odegard, on this very subject. He was MR's "resident" N-Scale expert, and wrote many articles on improving the N-scale "experience".

I suggest you and cmike go to the magazine index at Trains.com, and do a search on electro-magnets or Gordon Odegard. this will give you the title of the article, along with the month and year. If available you can get a back issue from MR itself or locate one by some other means.

Last edited by a moderator:

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com