Election year -1948

trailrider

President Harry S Truman is running for election in his own right, having become president on the death of FDR. Little Jim and his parents are travelling on the Zephyr from Chicago, to visit his Mom's folks in downstate Illinois. At Galesburg, the Zephyr is halted because the "Whistlestop Special is coming through.. Although he doesn't intend to vote for Truman, Jim's Dad feels his son should see the President! Putting his son up on his shoulders, he walks over to where the crowd has gathered. Sure enough. On the rear platform of the Ferdnand Magellan, is the president, an aide and Mrs. Truman.
P1000273.JPG

President Harry S Truman is running for election in his own right, having become president on the death of FDR. Little Jim and his parents are travelling on the Zephyr from Chicago, to visit his Mom's folks in downstate Illinois. At Galesburg, the Zephyr is halted because the "Whistlestop Special is coming through.. Although he doesn't intend to vote for Truman, Jim's Dad feels his son should see the President! Putting his son up on his shoulders, he walks over to where the crowd has gathered. Sure enough. On the rear platform of the Ferdnand Magellan, is the president, an aide and Mrs. Truman.View attachment 45691
Photo isn't all that good, but I haul the president's car and a small (IIRC, the crowd was much bigger than this, but I've only got so many figures for the crowd).

Trailrider, I've been waiting for years, literally, for you to post some pictures! Glad to see you have got it figured out! I'm eagerly waiting for more! Please! It seems like us CB&Q guys are a little on the rare side, compared to the Santa Fe and Union Pacific guys. One thing to remember though..............Burlington is the first name in BNSF!!!

How old were you? I was 6 at the time. Much better photo. I need to work on my photography skills. Ah, those were the days!

I was 2 at the time but he still owes me $1.50. In 1960 I caddied for him at Quaker Hill County Club in Pawling. He forgot his wallet and couldn't pay me the going rate. He said, I'll pay you another day. I never got paid.
George

Trailrider, I've been waiting for years, literally, for you to post some pictures! Glad to see you have got it figured out! I'm eagerly waiting for more! Please! It seems like us CB&Q guys are a little on the rare side, compared to the Santa Fe and Union Pacific guys. One thing to remember though..............Burlington is the first name in BNSF!!!
I'll see what I can do, soon. The "Q" has always been my favorite railroad. My layout is the Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the C.B.&Q. Grashhook was a ficticious place my grandfather always kidded where he would go fishing. I tell people, truthfully, that I rode the 9900 that is in the basement of the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. But when I rode it, it had the fourth car. Of course, I have the ConCor post-war version running on my layout. Also have Silver King and Silver Queen, as well as 9908 I kitbashed from an article in MR years ago. An E-5A/B was created from P2K E-6's by adding fluted siding, which pulls the California Zephyr. Of course, I have a number of steamers. I'll try to take some better photos and post them. Oh, and don't try to sell me on that post-1969 green, black and white paint scheme on any diesels or waycars! ;)

Back