Ebay?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

NP2626

I have lost faith in Ebay as a way to sell stuff. They keep changing things around and I have to keep re-inventing the wheel almost every time I attempt to list something.

When I was a young guy just out of high school the place I was working hired an efficiency expert to look over the process being used. I remember talking with him and hearing him explain that there are many ways of doing things some better and some worse. He recommended some changes and after you learned the changes, the processes I was involved became easier and faster. He strongly recommended not changing things unless it could be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the change improved the process.

So, I ask, why is change so prevalent in today's world? I think that often today, change occurs for changes sake!

bnsf971

AKA Gomez Addams
Staff member
Changes make it feel and look fresh and new. Even when it's a disaster, it still looks good--for a while, at least.

NP2626

Changes make it feel and look fresh and new. Even when it's a disaster, it still looks good--for a while, at least.
O.K., it's still inefficient and makes it take longer to do things! Since when does looking fresh "supersede" familiar and easy? Used "trump" here and thought "Oh, am I being political here?

migalyto

Plus every time a new executive comes in they think they have the next big idea. I never could understand why they take something that works good, and constantly mess with it. Leave it alone!

tankist

In mature publicly traded world class companies (eBay is without doubt one of them) there is no such thing as change for just sake of change. Any change is expense and execs need to substantiate any such expense to leadership and ultimately shareholders.
Not being involved in development/management of eBay I don't think you can have ANY idea as to what was driving that or other particular change. You have no way to evaluate just how much it was or wasn't needed. You can only assume. Fact is however that to survive in the world of fierce competition a company need to always change and adapt to new realities.

the one thing that you can do is structuraly provide your feedback to company . Or if it is just to unbearable to try and adapt you can alway give your business to the competitors.

one way or another eBay is still very usable . Bought few lots of railroad stuff and sold all my N scale stuff few weeks back.
It is possible.

tankist

You made an obvious statement. That's exactly how things work - when one gets tired of annoyance he goes to do business elsewhere.

I'm using their service on and off for over a decade. Had my ups and downs with scammers and non paying bidders. Things indeed have changed during this time. Bottom line I do not understand the nature of your complaint - you cannot reasonably expect things to stay as they are . No where in your contract with ebay they commit to keep the UI the same either.

tankist

No idea why you getting all heated up about this. I didn't question your right to complaint, feel free to complain about anything you please. What I'm saying is that I don't find your complaint reasonable and hoped to give you perspective as to why.

That said if you find ever changing UI as a that much of a problem I do have an idea for you - 3rd party eBay tools. Some paid, some free. they exist for both buying and selling. I haven't looked into that market in a while however ,you will need to do a research to decide which one fits your needs best.

Best regards

tankist

I enjoyed your unedited reply better, oh well.

Here is the thing, for any tech related challenges chances are that you are not alone who experienced it. And chances are someone somwhere saw the opportunity and already took on a task of making things easier.

so you have two choices, either continue to suffer and be upset about your issue or look for solution to overcome the issue.
Youre might be old, I never questioned your right to say something if you don't like it. But when I see someone going "wah! My hammer is lousy at driving screws" I am going to offer an advice to try a different tool.

supreme Lister. Check it out.

Or don't, your call. Good luck. i'm out

NP2626

So, as I have stated, I have lost faith in Ebay as a method to sell stuff. I don't need to sell anything on Ebay it is simply a way to get rid of stuff I no longer use or need. I don't need someone telling me that I have to get used to change, either. This fact is glaringly obvious to me. I slipped up in this thread by making an off handed comment! We all are capable of doing so and I guess I should probably apologize for making the off handed comment; but, I won't!!

bnsf971

AKA Gomez Addams
Staff member
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine. We can either accept change, adapt to it, or resist it.
If you don't like what Ebay is doing, then you can use the "feedback" comment feature they offer, and let them know how you feel. If enough people voice the same objection, they may modify or how they make their changes. Or not. In the end, it is a business, and Ebay will move toward maximizing their profits and growing their business. If they decide they can gain ten new users at the cost of losing one, I know which way it will go.

beiland

I agree, some of the changes that ebay has out in place has caused me to STOP using them.

And my latest complaint is what the heck is google doing with their GMAIL???? Initially I was real disappointed, now it seems they got their act straightened out, but seems a lot slower to me,...likely because of all their added complication?

e-Bay is what it is. Changes happen because someone sees a way to save money and enhance profits, or just to enhance profits by passing on increasing costs to users. Capitalism 101. Like it or hate it, it still gives you access to a very large pool of buyers and sellers. I still use them because I've had way more positive experiences than negative ones.

NP2626

Does loosing faith mean that I must stop using? That Ebay is, what it is, is understood by myself. However, despite the disagreement I had in this thread with Tankist about the subject of change, I still believe much of it is unnecessary! Agree/disagree, your choice!

I have had good luck on E-Bay and some bad luck as well. I guess "Buyer Beware" and be sure the seller has a return policy. E-Bay has grown over the years and likely had experienced growing pains and the ability to manage all aspects of their business.

On the bright sied of E-Bay, I recently sold on E-Bay, the last bid price was $51.00, for items I spent $2.85 to originally purchase. So I guess I like E-Bay!!!

My Two Cents worth.

Greg

I would tend to agree that I don’t like change either. I’ve accepted EBay as a necessary evil. When switching scales I had no other good outlet to liquidate my N Scale items. Luckily I modeled present day, so it went for a great price. I recouped about 80% after fees. Now that it’s all sold, I barely use it anymore. So in that regard, I guess I can somewhat accept change, it’s going to happen whether I want it to or not. As was stated above, for everyone that casts EBay aside for their changes a dozen sign up to use it.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com