Dummy Engine Question

Railrunner130

From a dummy... LoL

I dug out a few dummies that looked like they needed some help. I figured that I'd add LED headlights for when they are pointed in the right direction. I actually have two questions.

1. Would the dummy be the lead? Or are they always pulled?

2. With adding LEDs, do I need to consider adding more than one resistor because there is no engine?

I'm using DC only, no DCC.

Thanks!

Dummys are usually pulled by the main engine(on models) they mostly faced oppisite way so the engines didnt need turned around for a return trip...the crew would jump in other loco..They can pull/push just as fast either way. And they also help the lead engine when needed..
If you want to power lights...you might want to think about an onboard battery set up with a hidden switch. A dummy wouldnt have main headlights on if not lead..so you could put it up front and run the lights or in back when going other way or a lit cab.

I'm pretty sure Minitronics has directional LED units with the needed circuitry all done for you. Just pop it in and wire it for the correct polarity.

If it's a "quality" dummy, you can cut open a door on the side, glue it open, stick a prime mover casting in there, and have something really cool looking. A single door would show a glimpse of the innards, and lead people to assume it's much more detailed than it is.
It would probably need to be pulled rather than pushed, just so it doesn't derail on turnouts or rough track.

It is far better to pull the dummy facing backwards. Less likely to derail. I'd add some weight to the inside to make it track better, especially if the train behind it is fairly heavy. I'm not sure about the value of the resistors, but you can probably find some LED's that have the resistors packaged with them. (Check the Walthers catalog.)

As far as having the light come on when the consist (A-A or A-B-A, etc.) is running "in reverse" (with the dummy leading...best only when the locos are running light), there is a fairly easy way to do it, with out an on-off switch. An LED is a diode, which means it will only come on with the electrical polarity in one direction. Since you are running DC, it should be a simple matter to connect the LED so it comes on when the train is running in reverse. Of course, you will have to have electrical pickup from the track. Or else run wires to the closest powered loco. Just switch leads around until the light glows when the engines are going in the proper direction.

Thanks for the info guys.

It looked like a good idea, and being (it looks like) Tyco, easy to do. But, with the info you guys have provided, it sounds counter productive. I'll take the metal wheels back off and use them elsewhere.

Back