Dumbing it down

StevieWonder787

I have a Bachmann EZapp FT-A and a Bachmann non-EZapp FT-B. I want to lash them up but to do so would have to make a dummy out of the B unit. I can just disconnect/cut a wire and do the job but the then non-powered gears would be a drag for the A unit. Can I remove the gears to make it a true dummy?

Alternatively, I have two of the EZapp A units. The B unit was manufactured long before EZapp rolled around, so do you think the older B shell would fit the newer A unit chassis? If so, I could swap shells and have two EZapp units which can be lashed together using the EZapp software.

This is for my grandson and trying to make it relatively simple to operate.

I am not familiar with the internal workings of these particular models, but in most cases only the worm gear has to be removed. That's the one on the motor shaft that engages the running gears in the truck(s). Normally, the gear and shaft can be easily removed. For the shell swap, you just have to try it.

Are you running straight DC? One way to do this and have the B-unit still powered would be to switch to DCC, and then consist the two units. It might take some messing with CV's, but could be done. For DC, yes, you would probably have to make the B-unit into a dummy...unless, they just happen to run at the same speed with the same voltage setting. The way to test that is to put both on the track, a few inches apart, and see if one runs away from the other or catches up. Another way would be to install a variable resistor in one unit and adjust until both run at the same speed. As santafewillie said, to make a dummy out of the B-unit, you'd need to remove the worm gear(s) connecting the motor to the gears on the trucks. If the trucks roll freely enough with their gears left in place, great. If not, you might have to remove some of the gears from the truck frames.

Back